Drying Time

SJP

hi all,

my first guitar has been drying for 6 weeks.(dupilcolor cans)my question is.do i have to wait for the smell of laquer to go away before i clear with nitro? the reason i am asking is , i read in melvin hiscock's book to wait until you no longer can smell the clear coat laquer before you buff and polish.should i wait until the smell goes away before shooting the clear coat?

no your just spraying not leveling/polishing yet

and remember laquer melts into itself so it wont matter.....but im no expert

im sure you'll get more answers

I'm using Deft for the clear and Duplicolor Metalflakes for the color coat on my current project. I started with the clear coats a few days after spraying the color and it's working out fine so far. :D

You definitely need to let it sit until the smell goes away before buffing and polishing though.

Edited by fyb

It does help the cure if you let it breath between coats, as if you spray a lot on top of each other, the vapors from the first coats have to make their way out thru all the coats on top of them, so what you did is a good idea, but 6 weeks is plenty time to wait, feel free to proceed ahead.

I'm sort of surprised you're still smelling solvent 6 weeks later tho.

It does help the cure if you let it breath between coats, as if you spray a lot on top of each other, the vapors from the first coats have to make their way out thru all the coats on top of them, so what you did is a good idea, but 6 weeks is plenty time to wait, feel free to proceed ahead.

I'm sort of surprised you're still smelling solvent 6 weeks later tho.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm sure it's ready now too.

Take care.