Adding Bridge Tone Control To Strat

Paul Marossy

OK, so I have a H-S-S Strat which is wired with a master volume control, a tone control for the middle pickup and a tone control for the neck pickup. The bridge pickup has no tone control.

Is there is a simple way to modify the pickup switching scheme so that the bridge pickup has a tone control without messing up how the pickups switch? I can't see any way to do this without either going to a master tone contol or adding a tone control - neither of which I want to do. Am I stuck with keeping it as is? :D

if you add a on/on dpdt mini switch or push pull pot and play around with cap values

you could have a "preset" tone that would give you one setting

or you could buy a "Ganged" pot also known as Stacked Concentric Pots

that is two pots in one and replace one of the current tone pots

hope this gives you some ideas

Edited by spazzyone

Guitar nuts has this option:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/bridgetone.php

(might be the same as the EJ mod but I can't get it to load at the minute)

I think what I would end up doing is either making a master tone and putting a coil splitter in the hole for the second tone knob or use three of the stacked pots for a tone/volume control that's seperate for each pickup. I just don't really like the standard strat configuration--always feels like they made a mistake wiring it or something.

Edited by Logical Frank

The Eric Johnson Strat is wired for a bridge tone control.

Thanks, that was helpful. My pickup selector switch is a different style switch than the one in the diagram, but I see what they did. I can't seem to accomplish that with the switch that I have, or at least I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

I think what I would end up doing is either making a master tone and putting a coil splitter in the hole for the second tone knob or use three of the stacked pots for a tone/volume control that's seperate for each pickup.

More food for thought. Where in the world would you get the concentric pots?! Stewart MacDonald apparently doesn't sell those... :D

I just don't really like the standard strat configuration--always feels like they made a mistake wiring it or something.

Yeah, same here. :D

Edited by Paul Marossy

I know this isn't the only source....4th pot down

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/categor...s.2controlpots/

ill check another source that i get CTS pots cheap from

he does not have them listed but not all his stuff is

Edited by spazzyone

That's what I did with my ebay partscaster strat. I had the neck and mid using the 1st tone control then the bridge pup using the 2nd tone ctrl. I then added a mini toggle switch to allow me to switch in the bridge pup whenever I wanted wherever the 5-way blade switch was. All 3 together with the mid rprw is a lovely tone.

I had the neck and mid using the 1st tone control then the bridge pup using the 2nd tone ctrl. I then added a mini toggle switch to allow me to switch in the bridge pup whenever I wanted wherever the 5-way blade switch was.

I had a similar though, but I would rather it be automatically switched with the pickup selector switch. All three pickups does sound nice, but on the other hand, the noise adds up...

Edited by Paul Marossy