Pedal Tear Down And Build It In To A Guitar

!!METAL MATT!!

Ok i was just thinking that it may be kinda fun to try something like this---

take a pedal of some kind, take out the guts and build it i to a guitar EQ and all.

just kinda farting around with the idea and Im not really sure if I would do it, but I kinda think it would be cool to talk about and see if and how it could work

just something to talk about :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Hooglebug put a Fuzz Factory into his guitar:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=24811

In addition to what robert the damned mentioned, you will have to replace the output jack on your guitar w/ a stereo jack so you can make it so the battery doesn't drain when it's not plugged in.

At some point, I'm gonna be building either a Big Muff or a Rat into this old guitar I have around and maybe squeeze a phase or delay in there as well. It will be nice to have the controls to my effects at my fingertips when I'm practicing on my couch.

I just built a Maestro Boomerang wah clone into one of my electric guitars for a Frank Zappa kind of tone (well, as close as can be expected). I think it's pretty cool. :D

Here's a few pictures. The last one is showing the wah control pot (no knob).

Gtr-Wah1.JPG

Gtr-Wah3.JPG

SS-WahKnob.JPG

I've got an MXR EQ built into one of my guitars complete with the sliders poking through the top & sounds awesome when flicked on.

Also IMO it's often easier to flick the switch with your hand than with your foot...especially when you've got as many pedals as me on the floor...& you can turn it on/off anywhere on the stage....& if it works for Matt Belamy....

it's less convinent to flip a switch than step on something.

True so ive been thinking about what would be a better idea to add in there, im thinking about doing a delay

or a death metal pedal something thats just added over top of things, if any thing it would be cool to have the built in control as a backup

Think of a typical signal chain with effects, you wouldn't want any echo, delay, chorus, or anything like that on board because they typically come at the end of the chain.

Ask yourself what comes first (typically anyway) in a signal chain...EQ's, wahs, distortions, those would be the most likely effects to build into a guitar.

Like my EMG pots, the EXG, RPC, and SPC, they're all basically just different EQ pots, so it always works no matter what the rest of the situation is. :D

PS, be prepared to shield the CRAP out of it if you build it inside a guitar. :D

I would say the main disadvantage is that if you build it into the guitar, you can't use it w/ any of your other guitars.

That's true but if you're swapping guitars then it must be because they feel &/or sound different anyway so having a built in EQ, compressor or overdrive for example, is no different to having some meaty active pickups. I'm sure that a lot of people appreciate the difference between a Strat & a Les Paul without thinking that it's a disadvantage that playing one means that you can't sound like you're playing the other.

Think of a typical signal chain with effects, you wouldn't want any echo, delay, chorus, or anything like that on board because they typically come at the end of the chain.

Ask yourself what comes first (typically anyway) in a signal chain...EQ's, wahs, distortions, those would be the most likely effects to build into a guitar.

Ok thanks Drak! I have a death metal pedal that I want to use.

Now whats going to happen If I end up useing Active pickups?

Now whats going to happen If I end up useing Active pickups?

You're gonna be changing batteries between sets! :D Worst case, you might have to add a trimmer pot to pad down the input to your pedal circuit. I doubt it'll be an issue with the DM, though. What are you gonna do about the dual outputs, use two jacks, or just 86 the Direct out?

Another solution is of course to use 2 batteries....

But at this rate your going to have carved so many holes into it its going to sound like a semi..... :D

Hang on if my memory serves my well Faith No Mores first guitarist..... Jim somthing.... (oh well so much for my memory :D ) had 2 batterys in his Flying V due to the need for seperate amps on his pickups.

(one SD livewire and one EMG 60)

FIRST POST!!

in my opinion worthwhile effects to put in your guitar are things like pitchshifters and delays and the like because it gives you the advantage of changing the pitch/feedback or whatever it may be while you play which means you can add a bit of craziness to a riff or solo.

things like overdrive are pointless on a guitar cos (as far as im concerned) you dont really change settings like overdrive during a song so it has limited use.

anyway i wanna put a ring modulator in my guitar (cos i can get wierd sound by changing the oscillation while playing,this makes ring modulators much more useable than they would be on the floor.....ANYWAY) i came across a wiring diagram for one that doesnt need a battery online a few months ago and was intrigued but cant find it anymore.

can someone help me out please?

CHEERS! :D

OK, here goes:

1. Guitar pickups aren't strong enough to drive a passive diode ring modulator.
  2. Even if they were, you'd still have to have a carrier oscillator (which would have to be powered), so it's still useless for your purposes.
Hey, if it was that easy, we'd all be Zachary Vex! :D

Since you're just looking for "a bit of craziness", try a Green Ringer - it's a proven project, and a quick Google about should find you more info than you could ever have asked for.

OK, here goes:

1. Guitar pickups aren't strong enough to drive a passive diode ring modulator.
  2. Even if they were, you'd still have to have a carrier oscillator (which would have to be powered), so it's still useless for your purposes.
Hey, if it was that easy, we'd all be Zachary Vex! :D

Since you're just looking for "a bit of craziness", try a Green Ringer - it's a proven project, and a quick Google about should find you more info than you could ever have asked for.

are you sure (you probably know more than me but said id ask anyway...) im certain i saw one that didnt need any power source except to light the led.

i just want a simple enough ring circuit (volume, oscillator) thats easy to make and wire myself.

ok so i need batterys......hmmmn.....is the green ringer or ring modulators in general heavy on batterys?

Cheers :D

Honestly, I don't know much about the circuit in practice - I played one back when it was new-ish, and wasn't knocked out, but I'm not a noiztoyz kinda guy, so don't take my word for it. JD knows all 'bout it, though:

General Guitar Gadgets Green Ringer page

If you want real synth balanced modulator sounds, try googling "AD633 ring modulator" or "MC1495 ring modulator" - both Maestro and Oberheim made ring mod pedals using the MC1495, but they're both gonna be a bit involved to implement as onboard effects. Finally, the NE567 PLL chip has been twisted into a pseudo-ring mod, using just the onboard oscillator and the phase comparator.

Honestly, I don't know much about the circuit in practice - I played one back when it was new-ish, and wasn't knocked out, but I'm not a noiztoyz kinda guy, so don't take my word for it. JD knows all 'bout it, though:

General Guitar Gadgets Green Ringer page

If you want real synth balanced modulator sounds, try googling "AD633 ring modulator" or "MC1495 ring modulator" - both Maestro and Oberheim made ring mod pedals using the MC1495, but they're both gonna be a bit involved to implement as onboard effects. Finally, the NE567 PLL chip has been twisted into a pseudo-ring mod, using just the onboard oscillator and the phase comparator.

whoa whoa you just threw me into the deep end with your second paragraph....dont have a CLUE what you just said :D

cheers for your help btw ill sus it out!

in my opinion worthwhile effects to put in your guitar are things like pitchshifters and delays and the like because it gives you the advantage of changing the pitch/feedback or whatever it may be while you play which means you can add a bit of craziness to a riff or solo.

Not a bad idea. The only downside is that delay effects eat batteries pretty quickly... :D

Nothing lets you "change while you play" better than a footpedal, as mentioned on page 1. Even the least obtrusive hand switch still requires a hand. While a stompbox requires your foot, an appendage not normally used during the actual playing of a guitar. :D

Greg