7 String Bass

All Right, i have a massive change. I have a friend who wants a 7 string bass...

We have the design of it, but i am wondering about the thickness of the neck (is it playable), and where am i going to find a 7 string bridge. I will get Kent Armstrong to custom make the pickup.

Has any one here attempted to build a beast like this?

I'm working on a friend's 7th strings, and it's .875" thk at first fret and about 1" thk near the heel joint. 4.032" wide at fret 24 and 2.450" at the nut. Sure that it's harder to play than a jazzbass and i have the feeling to play with a road train. But the F# sound hudge! Delano seem to built good P-U for seven strings basses too. Do you plan to build a 36"? It can be a good idea if the bass will support a .155" F#

Hope this will help

Philippe

I'm working on a friend's 7th strings, and it's .875" thk at first fret and about 1" thk near the heel joint. 4.032" wide at fret 24 and 2.450" at the nut. Sure that it's harder to play than a jazzbass and i have the feeling to play with a road train. But the F# sound hudge! Delano seem to built good P-U for seven strings basses too. Do you plan to build a 36"? It can be a good idea if the bass will support a .155" F#

Hope this will help

Philippe

.155 is a small F# size. I'd recommend anywhere from .165-.175.

Has anyone attempted to build a beast like this? Yes, I'm working on an 8-string now.

8-string progress thread

8-string photo album

The neck profile is going to closely resemble what De Trepagny is working on.

Measurements are -

• Nut - 2 7/8"
  • 24th fret - 4 1/8"ish (wont know until I get the fingerboard on)
  • Neck thickness is about 15/16" without fingerboard
  • Scarf jointed headstock - 9/16" thickness
  • Body length - 21 1/4"
  • Body width - 12 1/4" (I suggest 13"+)
  • Body thickness - 1 1/2"

Hipshot does offer a 7-string bass bridge. I highly recommend custom Nordstrand or DeLano style pickups.

Is it playable? Extended Range Basses go up to 12 strings. My hands are quite average sized, around 8-9 strings will be my physical limit.

Phew my customer has changed his mind. thanks for the info. I might make it a personal project.

He wants a good old 4 string bass.

Here are the woods we are looking to use. swamp ash body, bubinga top (how does this wood sound, the customer likes the look), flamed maple neck and zebrawood fretboard.

Loads of fun for everyone.