Great Clamps!

fryovanni

While I was at the woodworkers show I ran across these clamps(see pic.).

DSCF0445.jpg

They looked like an interesting option for joining. They press the wood flat as well as squeeze it together. You have to add your own wood to the clamp system(but that does give you spacing options(I used 24" boards). I assebled and tried them out and sure enough they worked slick as can be. Here are a couple pics with an 18" wide body blank in the clamps.

CLICK

CLICK HERE TOO

I tell you I was able to put some serious pressure on the body blank and it was perfectly flat and was pressed very evenly. I definately give it a thumbs up.

The outfit I bought them from is called Just Clamps.Link

They charged $25 per. Clamp. They also told me this is a new item so you won't find them on their web site. You should be able to shoot them an e-mail and request them. You could check the Woodworkers show calender also (I believe they are touring with the show).Woodworkers Show

Peace,Rich

Arrgh!! My eyes, my beautiful eyes!!

Damn my curiosity.

Can you imagine a President (any one will do) in front of a nuclear weapons control desk , looking avidly at a big flashing red button which says ' Don't touch'. Hmm, what does this button do?...............Press......

Similar scenario I guess.

I like your brand of humour, Prostheta. :D

I love the simplicity of those metal clamps - but the price! :D:D

I'm sure a nice homemade version in possile.... *ponders*

Homemade version. YES!

Looking at the basic way the set I picked up is made. A car jack came to mind(effecitvely all the parts would be there* short of a couple bars).

I just slapped these together. I have some ideas on how I could mount them to a bench. I will still use wax paper to avoid sticking. I will also probably add cork to the top and back bars(protect softer woods). I will also place a long block at the sides for better pressure spread. Even as is though these would do solid bodies just fine, and can be adjusted down for necks or what have you.

As far as steel over wood for the cross bars. I have steel that could be bolted up, but there just is no reason to use it unless I wanted to use 4-10'bars to span the clamps. I would probably still use cork on the bars to protect the wood.

Peace,Rich

Arrgh!! My eyes, my beautiful eyes!!

Damn my curiosity.

Can you imagine a President (any one will do) in front of a nuclear weapons control desk , looking avidly at a big flashing red button which says ' Don't touch'. Hmm, what does this button do?...............Press......

Similar scenario I guess.

I like your brand of humour, Prostheta. :D

Thanks, it gets me into trouble more than my fingers however :D

Rich, I think that just sticking with the greaseproof/cookie paper to stop cauls sticking to clamps puts pay to anything else as non-stick pads on the clamps. It's economical and simple. Cork DOES make it look "more technical" though, and buttered diamonds don't stick to ANYTHING.

As far as steel cross-bracing for the side clamps, I think it's infinitely better than wood now I've considered it. I'd hazard a guess that using wood would be better if using three sets of clamps. Two sets with steel braces would be cheaper also :-D

Edited by Prostheta

I love the simplicity of those metal clamps - but the price! :DB)

Homemade version. YES!

Looking at the basic way the set I picked up is made. A car jack came to mind(effecitvely all the parts would be there* short of a couple bars).

I just slapped these together. I have some ideas on how I could mount them to a bench. I will still use wax paper to avoid sticking. I will also probably add cork to the top and back bars(protect softer woods). I will also place a long block at the sides for better pressure spread. Even as is though these would do solid bodies just fine, and can be adjusted down for necks or what have you.

As far as steel over wood for the cross bars. I have steel that could be bolted up, but there just is no reason to use it unless I wanted to use 4-10'bars to span the clamps. I would probably still use cork on the bars to protect the wood.

Peace,Rich

Cool i can clamp my tops and change my tires with the same tool

what will they think of next :D

I love the simplicity of those metal clamps - but the price! :DB)

Homemade version. YES!

Peace,Rich

Car jacks was the first thing that i thought of too!

Great minds eh :D:D

This is impeccable timing on your behalf, Rich.

There's a HUUUGE woodworking expo in Melbourne this weekend and I'm planning to go to it

in a matter of hours. Once a year this thing rolls into town.

I doubt that same brand of clamp will be on sale, though I'm sure I'll find something along the same

lines as yours.

And no, I'm not even contemplating the $399 steel version. Although it could be a useful tool in times when torture is called upon. Great for cracking bones. :D

Stu

I've had a number of those clamps for years now. They aren't really new. Woodcraft has been selling them for years. They are nice because they clamp both vertically and horizontally at the same time (good way to clamp up a maple top or similar), and you can make them up to any dimension you need.

I was also thinking about the issue of glue sticking to them. Good old wax paper always works, but something more elegant would be nice. I am planning to use some 1/4" thick UHMW polyethelyne (the slick plastic stock sold for making saw fences, jigs etc., almost like Teflon) strips on the bottom of the wood. That would give a nice smooth, durable clamping surface that wouldn't be affected at all by the glue. I'm gonna get around to that project one of these days.

Other thing that's cheap and readily available and comes with a nice non-stick surface that hardly any glue sticks to: clear and/or brown packing tape. The stuff I have is even impervious to superglue. Melamine is also almost un-glue-able.

Edited by Mattia

I've had a number of those clamps for years now. They aren't really new. Woodcraft has been selling them for years. They are nice because they clamp both vertically and horizontally at the same time (good way to clamp up a maple top or similar), and you can make them up to any dimension you need.

I was also thinking about the issue of glue sticking to them. Good old wax paper always works, but something more elegant would be nice. I am planning to use some 1/4" thick UHMW polyethelyne (the slick plastic stock sold for making saw fences, jigs etc., almost like Teflon) strips on the bottom of the wood. That would give a nice smooth, durable clamping surface that wouldn't be affected at all by the glue. I'm gonna get around to that project one of these days.

You know I have never seen these at my local Woodcraft, but your absolutely right. I found them in Woodcrafts on line catalog-Click. Same price. Very cool.

Peace,Rich

They look like great clamps. Would they be able to glue very thin pieces together, like say a bookmatched top? I plan on doing a really nice birdseye maple top soon and I'm trying to find a more precise method of gluing the two pieces together before I have a go at it.

I picked up a similar set today at a woodwork expo in Melbourne......

DSC03718_edited.jpg

And I also bumped into a fellow member in 'myguitar'.

For those who can't remember , myguitar posted pics of her acoustic guitar she built not too long ago.

It looks even better in person. Have a look-see.

LINK

cheers,

Stu

Noooo....!! Not the buttered diamonds effect :-D That said, good suggestion re: UHMW PET!

Rich, I may go up to the show tomorrow - anything else I should look out for? Those clamps look great.

Marty

What time do you think you will get there? I have Alyssa, but maybe we could meet up with U.

Rockler had some Burled Yew veneer that looked spectacular. Like Burled yellow Birdsey(thick w/figure and great color.). If you need Cocobolo,Zircote,Bocote Cook has some nice wider stock(just watch he prices, they are a little high). They had some nice Quilted Bubinga, but again price(Gilmer will serve you a better deal quality/price).

Peace,Rich