Shatterd Mirror Rg

winger

I've done a fair bit of reading on the subject. But I'm still not quite sure how to go about this.

There's an old (pink) Ibanez RG (no pickguard) standing in the corner of my room. Since I don't care much for the pink color I've been thinking about refinishing it. I've always liked the mirrorball Iceman that Paul Stanley (Kiss) used in the 70's. I'd like to try something similar.

If I'm correct I should first route out the top. (Thickness of the mirror.)

Then cut a mirror to the shape of the guitar body. (A template of the RG body would come in handy. Has anybody got one ?)

Cut pieces off of the mirror, grind the cuts to somewhat of a bevel, glue the mirror onto the top.

Drill screw holes through the mirror pieces.

Mount the hardware.

Questions are :

Does the glue need to stay a bit flexible or is it better to use a glue that cures hard ?

What kind of drill bits do you use for drilling through glass ?

Is there someone around with some experience with a similar project ?

Edited by winger

Thanks for your input evryone. However, the general consensus seems to be that it's best to use an acrylic mirror when doing a mirror top in one piece. For a shattered mirror top one should best use the real stuff, and handcut all the pieces. (More control over the pattern this way.) Kamnguitars has some nice examples on their website. (http://kamn.brinkster.net)

Just need some more input about the gluing and sealing part.

this is a flat top guitar yeh? if you want to keep the binding i would suggest that you rout the top to teh depth of the mirror, glue that on, then re-bind it as you normaly would. if you attemp to keep the origional binding i beleve that you run a very high risk of destroying it anyway. one thought i had was to try and find a realy thin mirro plexi glass, shatter that then glue that on with out routing anything. it would have to be realy thin to avoid having to shim the neck.

Yeah Scoob... That's part of what I've been reading. But this was in the mid 70's. Too bad there aren't any brands mentioned for glues etc.

A couple of years ago Washburn made the "black diamond". There was a making of video available at the time. I haven't been able to find that one onfortunately. If I Google it, all that pops up are some thumbnails.