Project "blues Strat" Went Bad Someone Help!

fenderbender06

I don't mean to sound too harsh, but from your responses it's pretty clear that you are new to the electronics and don't have a feel for them. And it also sounds like the guys who did the work don't have too much of a clue either. Your best and safest bet is to take it to a reputable shop. They will be able to figure it out quickly and easily. Learning how to do your own repairs is a great thing, but if you don't have enough electonics knowledge, you can really mess things up. For the time being I would take it to a shop (and not the orignal guys) and then either take some basic eletronics classes or bare minimum read Eltronics for Dummies to get the basic ideas and priniciples.

Hey Guys,

I had someone who actually "knew" guitars aside from just plain electronics. They went through the grounding process and realized my pickups were all jacked up......(and no I have no experience in electronics) SO anyways a longs story short....

I am buying a whole new assebly, new pickups, new everything...it would be nice to buy one already loaded and wired..any suggestions????

who makes the best strat pickups?

EMG

Dimarzio

etc

Yea he switched the input jack and no sound came out...............................

We re did the grounding and everything and still an over riding hum....

The pu's sounded weird as well, when I had them in my original Strat they sounded ok....but now they just sound too muddy, so I was putzin around with getting new pu's before I installed the old ones but instead had the old ones put on....

they are weird pu's, old lace senors made by Gary Levinson prolly in the 80s..

any suggestions for new Pick ups?? I have heard Dimarzios and they sounded great....

Like I said its too bad I couldnt get them pre loaded in a pickguard....

Why am I thinking this thread is a joke and I just don't get the punch line?

Eltronics for Dummies

:D only kidding...there may be something wrong with the pickups but the fact that they work under some conditions suggest otherwise and for all three to be faulty...hmmm

pete

Why am I thinking this thread is a joke and I just don't get the punch line?

:D I almost missed it too, Joe - it was back a little ways:

... I called my friend ... they said they had hardly any room to put the ground in (where the wiring schematic said to) so they grounded it in a different spot on the body ...
I had someone who actually "knew" guitars aside from just plain electronics. They went through the grounding process and realized my pickups were all jacked up...
It appears to me that he has at least one (and perhaps several) fewer friends than he thinks he does. :D I suspect we haven't heard the last of this.

Ok guys thanks for the bashing.... :D

So I don't know much about electronics...

And of coarse THIS is my FIRST ever guitar build...I only know how to play...so if ya wanna bash me ..go ahead but as far as I am concerned I am starting to build because I want to learn..As some of you may be experts I am not, thats why I am asking....so 'scuse me for being ignorant on electronics..its not my forte.

And one last question...why the in the world would I send my guitar to an expert (and pay them) for a guitar I built? seems pointless...then again...

for the ones helping I THANK YOU for your advice..

...why the in the world would I send my guitar to an expert (and pay them) for a guitar I built?
:D In order to get it working properly! Nobody's bashing you, but it's obvious that you don't know enough to do this yourself, and apparently your friends aren't much help either, so it's time to involve a qualified tech. It's nothing to be embarassed about, but I've repaired enough guitars that were worked on by "...this guy my friend knows who really knows guitars..." to save you some time and heartache, if you're willing to listen. The odds of all three of your pickups spontaneously dying simultaneously have to be up there with winning the New York lottery, which leads me to suspect that either:
  1. Your pickups are not defective, or
  2. Your pickups were damaged in the process of the original "repairs"
But that's just my take on your situation, and it's based on the (precious little) information that you've provided, so I could be completely off base. However, if you'd taken the axe to a trustworthy professional to begin with, he'd have been able to tell you if your pickups were lunched immediately - moreover, he could have told you that there was nothing special about the way SRV's Strats were wired to begin with, and this whole situation could have been avoided. I apologize if you feel you've been disrespected - I hope you get it straightened out with a minimum of pain. Good luck! :D