Painting My Custome Design.

Daz.

Hi guys.

Basically this is the design i'm interested in having on my guitar.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9236/dsc00004da2.jpg

Now, painting it is going to be quite difficult obviously.

So i was thinking of possible, shallow scribing the design into the wood. Then painting the body white. Then filling the indentations in black, as to keep the black paint from spilling over to the white, for a clean design.

Anyone got any tips on this?

Or maybe suggest a better way to pull this design off?

Edited by Maiden69

I would design this in the computer as vector art and have a local sign shop cut it with Paint mask. guitar white and apply the mask and paint black. The clear will level the surface to make it nice and smooth. I am guessing that only the pencil lines would be black not the inside of the design. I would also suggest shadowing where the design crosses to give it some depth.

Hmm...... I like PaintIt's idea a lot, though it might be a lot of work, depending on your skill level. I know my computer graphics skill ain't up to snuff :D I think it would work the best, to do it that way. On the other hand, I've seen many an inscribed/relief-ed guitar, which I think would look nice as well, but only if it was one color. To carve that design shallow and then paint multiple colors over it seems too busy to me.

If you painted the whole thing black and did the whole top of the guitar and fret markers with abalone inlay, I might cry.

Either way, I'd DO IT, because that is one of the coolest designs for an LP top I've seen :D Kicks the ____ out of the bullseye any day \m/

Hmm...... I like PaintIt's idea a lot, though it might be a lot of work, depending on your skill level. I know my computer graphics skill ain't up to snuff :D I think it would work the best, to do it that way. On the other hand, I've seen many an inscribed/relief-ed guitar, which I think would look nice as well, but only if it was one color. To carve that design shallow and then paint multiple colors over it seems too busy to me.

If you painted the whole thing black and did the whole top of the guitar and fret markers with abalone inlay, I might cry.

Either way, I'd DO IT, because that is one of the coolest designs for an LP top I've seen :D Kicks the ____ out of the bullseye any day \m/

The Graphics are fairly easy to draw in Corel or Illustrator as a vector file that is needed for a plotter to cut the mask. I am fortunate enough to have my own plotter so this makes it even easier. Any sign shop could create the artwork and mask though. I actually think it would be cool to use shadow the design where it overlaps to create some depth.

If you created the mask the possibilities are endless.

Black stained wood , apply masking , paint white

Paint white , masking and paint the design any color.

I could go on and on.

You could even paint several layers of color then paint the guitar white. mask off the white area and sandblast the design slowly revealing the different colors depending how far you go. Kinda like a multicolor jawbraker has layers

Hi guys.

Basically this is the design i'm interested in having on my guitar.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9236/dsc00004da2.jpg

Now, painting it is going to be quite difficult obviously.

So i was thinking of possible, shallow scribing the design into the wood. Then painting the body white. Then filling the indentations in black, as to keep the black paint from spilling over to the white, for a clean design.

Anyone got any tips on this?

Or maybe suggest a better way to pull this design off?

Looks pretty good cleaned up as a vector on the pc. Cool design.

guitar.jpg