Guitar Of The Month For November

Guitar of the Month for November  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I never managed to get photo's up in time to enter one of mine (I am kinda glad with this much competition)

Very hard decision this month... but i had to go with hooglebugs - he's given me a few ideas on things i want to try out.

Toddler68's is obviously gorgeous, that finish is enough to make me wet myself.

Lots of purple this month!!

Godin nearly got my vote because his guitar looks like it would compliment my new bass really well - top notch as usual

Rashin - thats bloody impressive!

I was diggin' Rashin's gat after he managed to make the plug-pots work, but I voted for toddler's piece because it just blows everything else away.

Even if it does look like something out of Prince's arsenal of, well, whatever Prince has an arsenal of...

Ok, this month is rediculous.... the Kraken is just out of this work awesome! Just AWESOME! However, the Milk Dud's are so exquisitely executed, and at such a young age it's hard not to take them into consideration as well. Then of course there's Toddler's build, which is blew me away with it's gorgeous looks! And then the Purple Retro styled guitar is just right out of an oldies movie, but still something new... I don't know how he did it lol.

However, I'm gunna have to narrow the votes down, and for the 3 that don't get the vote, I'm gunna tell ya why:

Godin SD- It's time to pick a new shape... we've seen this one, the one before, the flat topped bubinga version, and soon to be two wenge milk duds... sorry, but I've only seen you do one other shape and never saw it truely finished.

Retro Purple Guitar- the knobs, as trivial as they are, I think took it down a peg. Maybe a white set of knobs, but I feel that that brownish type old les paul knob color really distracts fromt he over-all awesomeness.

Toddler- I wish I could have voted fory ou, I truely do cause that wood is AMAZING... but with a race as close and you and the kraken every little bit counts, and the bit that counted here was the non-recessed rear covers. I know, once again, trivial, but that's how close you and the Kraken were that the trivialest of things were the deciding point.

Kraken is the winner of my vote :D

Chris

I'm a newbie here, and that probably influences my choice a little. I like the carved-top guitars the best, just because I like carved tops. It's probably the same biological attraction I have for breasts... I DO like curves! Anyway... the ONLY thing I don't like about Toddler's guitar is the raised cover on the back. Otherwise, I can't discount the amount of lust I feel for that guitar. I'd love to have it. And for all of the reasons I can find to choose Godin's creation, primal urges dictate my choice. Rashin's takes 3rd. A great-looking guitar that I'd be proud to have built, but lacking the super-model appeal of the others.

BTW- I do like creativity and originality very much. I just have a thing for carved-top guitars.

Godin, don't take it so personal. And no I wouldn't tell Fender to stop making strats, because like you said, if it works do it. HOWEVER, I wouldn't month after month vote for a strat. I would have voted for one the first time I saw it, and then started voting for those that move on and show new things. I'm not saying your guitar isn't gorgeous, because it is,a nd I'd play the hell out of it, all I'm saying is I've voted for a Milk Dud once, and now voting wize I must move on, that in no way says I no longer like the duds.

Chris

I've never been a fan of contests because it focuses too much on attention-grabbing characteristics and not the deeper, less evident qualities. The thought of choosing a winning guitar without playing it is actually a little ludicrous. But it's not like a lot is at stake here, other than a little pride.

Godin, never get discouraged by not winning one of these beauty contests. I'm an artist/craftsman by day (with a business degree) and from what I know of your work, you are absolutely on the right track. I mentor other artists and we discuss "branding" all the time. One of the most important factors in branding is having characteristics that are consistent enough to be trademarks. It's not a bad thing to repeat shapes. Just make sure beauty is backed up with quality and functionality. You'll get a lot more in the long run out of developing a recognizable style than winning a beauty contest every month.

All good candidates this month.

If all these guitars were on stands in front of me, and begging to be picked up and played,

I'd have to say Rashin's for sheer style simplicity. 1 piece Cocobolo + push-in pots :D

Dangerous but elegant curves.

And whats wrong with doing one shape? Would you tell fender you've seen too many strats? Or gibson you've seen too many pauls? If it works go with it.

Well, yes and no. Fender and Gibson went through a lot of prototypes before settling on their final shapes. And they've both made guitars with different shapes. Nowadays, both are merely marketing machines, no one expects them to come up with anything new.

I think the thing to look at here is the idea of progress, taking things to the next level. True, you've only made a couple of guitar using that shape, it's no big deal. But if you stop there, how are you going to know what happens next?

For what my opinion's worth, your guitar looks really uncomfortable to play. It's too small, too stubby. I've become more interested in ergonomic design lately, and what's comfortable, and especially, what's not good for the body. But then, I'm dealing with a weird back/nerve problem that comes from hunching over my guitar all the time --I switched to a big fat ol' hollowbody, and the problem disappeared.

Still, I'd like to see a larger/wider version of your shape...I think it'd be really interesting to see that way. No one's questioning the craftsmanship, obviously, no worries there. Maybe that's why I'd push you towards trying harder, while in the case of someone else, I wouldn't bother saying anything.

Oh yeah, I hit the wrong button, so I can't vote anymore. :D I really like the breadbox-caster, of course (not that that's all that ergonomic either). I probably would have voted for toddler, if only because he kept at it for TWO YEARS.

Darn! I wanted to see how the vote was going so I hit null vote and now it won't let me vote. Oh well, looks like it would have hardly made a difference since I was going to vote for toddler. What a beauty!

Rashin and THIRSTYGUMS blew me away. Two very impressive instruments, indeed!

Everyone who entered should be proud. They all look to be built by master luthiers.