Zero Fret

My hofner has a zero fret, it's definitely taller and wider than the others. But it might be a replacement, dunno.

Keep in mind that most nuts raise the strings slightly off the first fret, so it makes sense that the zero fret be a little taller. Also, using a taller wider fret will give you more time before you'll have to replace the fret --since it'll be getting a lot of wear and tear. You'll also be able to file just one fret, instead of all the others!

I'm planning on using jumbo wire for the zero fret, medium wire for the rest. If I ever get around to fretting the necks I'm working on, that is. :D

I'm 99.9% sure a zero fret should be on the same plane as the rest of them.

After all, if you put a capo on the first fret, it is effectively acting as a zero fret, and you don't have to raise it.

My only concern about that theory is that when you use a capo, you're creating a break angle over the fret. This in effect cantilevers (sp?) the string over the next fret. If your break angle at the zero fret is the same then all is well. If not, then it *might* make sense for the zero fret to be higher (probably only by a few thousandths).

My only concern about that theory is that when you use a capo, you're creating a break angle over the fret. This in effect cantilevers (sp?) the string over the next fret. If your break angle at the zero fret is the same then all is well. If not, then it *might* make sense for the zero fret to be higher (probably only by a few thousandths).

First, let me emphasize that I am speaking without much experience of zero frets, but (in theory anyway) I stand by what I said earlier. Having a larger zero fret will certainly work; I just don't think it's necessary. I am also aware that there was a debate about this a while back, so I apologize if I'm forcing open any old wounds :D

In response to Son of Magni, I don't think that the break angle should make that much difference. My strings don't buzz using a light touch, so I think that the break angle from the headstock should be sufficient. That said, I can't be 100% sure until I make a neck with a zero fret.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone done a zero fret "my" way?

EDIT:

Zero Fret Discussion

Never mind! I found the thread in question. A lively discussion, but no need to repeat it!

Edited by another doug