What Is The Best Way To Cover The String Holes?

choogiem

What is the best way to cover the holes without taking the metal pieces off of the guitar? It is a string through design and the only metal pieces are where the strings go through the body and where the bridge mounts on the body? Or should I take them off and if so, what is the best way? Thanks this is my first stab at painting guitar. Also, what is the best chemical paint stripper to use?

You mean the ferules? I would ease them out before painting with long nosed pliars and a little patience. They can be heated with the tip of a soldering iron which softens the surrounding wodd a litle to make it easier.

Sometimes you can poke them through from the top but be careful!

Paint stripper = Nitromorse, brush on then cover overnight with plastic bag to keep the solvents in the area concentrated. If its a polyester finish, sometimes chemical paint strippers won't touch it though. Then you have to sand it all off.

Maiden69 (I'm pretty sure it was him) said you could use a wood screw and "screw" it into the ferule from the back than grab the screw with pliers and yank it out. I tried it and it works perfectly.

This is a dumb question but are the ferrules where the strings go thru the body? And it look like these are glued in on both sides and I do not know how to take them out without breaking them. Will heat lossen these up?

I'm not sure what would happen in these circumstances but heat makes things grow bigger, so basically it'll hold on better to the sides and will be harder to take out

again, I'm not sure about it

Heating up the ferule will soften the glue and allow it to be removed. Even if it did expand a tiny ammount it would make it easier to remove because the wood fibers and the glue have been heated and softend.

Maiden69 (I'm pretty sure it was him) said you could use a wood screw and "screw" it into the ferule from the back than grab the screw with pliers and yank it out. I tried it and it works perfectly.

I think that was me. I used an old neck screw.

Caveat: Any time you try an improvised method of doing something, go slow and be careful and if something goes wrong chalk it up to experience.