Ultra Cheap Bass Build.

I know what some of your are thinking and no Im not going to dress up a squire or an old Ibanez :D No this will be a from scratch build and a quality one at that. All hardware will be built by me. The only thing that will be bought premade are frets, fiberoptics, electronics and possibly the bridge.

Specs are:

4 string headless

neck-through

35" scale

Nine laminate neck of purpleheart, Paduak, Maple.(last bass build produced 2 neckblanks about 25$ here.)

Mineral stained poplar body, I really like poplar and would use it even not on the cheap!

Quilted maple top (wont be a multi A top but Itll be nice)

passive J pups with matching wood covers (brand undetermined, depending on budget)

Maybe a homebuilt active Eq MAYBE! (depending on budget)

fiberoptic side markers

Cocobolo fretboard

Lmi fretwire

Home built headless tuners

Home built truss rod (longer than whats availible from all the retailers :D)

Home built strapbuttons, knobs, covers ect.

neck blank

Picture006-2.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the top I won off ebay today cost $18.00

Is it just me or does it look depressed in its current enviroment?

Being the lighting isnt so great in the picture Im hoping the figure will be a little better in person but if not oh well.

7a_1_sbl.jpg

Edited by scottyd

Here is the poplar I won today also. I got enough for a few projects $29.00 with shipping. Kinda sucks that i can buy the same type of wood at home depot for about 10 bucks, but i really like the mineral stains in these boards and to think they filter those out at hardware stores. :D

27_1.jpg

Back of Boards, COOL!

Here is the top I won off ebay today cost $18.00

Is it just me or does it look depressed in its current enviroment?

Being the lighting isnt so great in the picture Im hoping the figure will be a little better in person but if not oh well.

7a_1_sbl.jpg

Looks like something from burl.quilt Medicine Bow Wood Store. I've bought from them before because of the nice price. I was very happy with the flame maple top I got from them, and I certainly got my money's worth. The only gripe I had was the poor photos. At least on the piece I bought, the figure was better than the photo showed. Whenever I get my current wood pile used up, I'll certainly consider buying from them again. :D

I saw some poplar a few months back at Lowes that had alot of purple in it, but it wasn't as nice as this . I thought about buying it but didn't, now I wish I would have!

Can't wait to see this bass. Great looking stuff so far!

Yeah ooten2 thats where I got it. Was cheap enough for sure, its great to hear you had a good experience with them. Makes me feel a lot better about the purchase. Yeah they should consider taking pictures of the wood somewhere less I dunno dungeonly....

Heres a better look at my wood! :D It all came ups in today, I rough sketched the shape Im leaning towards on the maple (The quilts not half bad!). The horns kinda remind me of little lochness monsters smiling at each other..... :D The recess at the bottom wont be so big either.

000_0009.jpg

Poplar side 1

Poplar side 2

Man I cant decide which side of that poplar I want exposed for the back of this bass. Any Ideas?

My advice....

Keep the quilt for another build just use the Poplar!!!

that stuff is to stunning to be covered!!!!! :D

Yeah Im thinking the same thing, luckily theres enough for 2 seperate projects. Ill probably do an all poplar bodied bolt on with the rest.

hey guys,

Some damn fine wood you have there!!... My vote is side two... Just a quick question, you said you purchased the wood of ebay, right. when you get it posted can it be sent to australia, im realy having trouble sourcing some flamed and quilted wood in melbourne.

thanks for your time, and good luck with the build.

The axe

p.s im a first timer here

hey guys,

Some damn fine wood you have there!!... My vote is side two... Just a quick question, you said you purchased the wood of ebay, right. when you get it posted can it be sent to australia, im realy having trouble sourcing some flamed and quilted wood in melbourne.

thanks for your time, and good luck with the build.

The axe

p.s im a first timer here

Hi, if you are looking for anything flamed or quilted, have a look on GuitarWoods, which is run by Gilet Guitars.

I have bought loads of stuff there and couldn't be happier with their products and service.

both sides are nice but personally, I think that side 2 looks a bit odd because it doesn't fit very well on that shape....but....although I prefer side 1, it will probably look strange near the rear strap button where the colours change from side 1 to side 2. Basically where the number 17 is written, that could look odd if side 1 is used with a maple top on the other side.

does that make sense?....I know what I mean :D

I think that, because of that transition area, you should use side 2. It looks like a laminate which is cool but if it was a laminate you'd most likely use 3 pieces of wood...what you're going to end up with is what looks like 3 laminates plus an extra bit added on the side which might look odd