Ultra Cheap Bass Build.

I scrapped the idea of making maple pickup covers. I decided to use the Poplar and top it off with Cocobolo to match the fingerboard. These make the Jazz pups look a little more fancy and they will give a better area to rest the thumb.

hghg.jpg

Edited by scottyd

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and they will give a better area to rest the thumb.

Oh yeah, much better area to rest the thumb. I hate the feel of most plastic pickup covers, they just aren't that comfortable as a thumb rest. The only time I'm using the pickup as a thumb rest is when I'm playing on the B-string or a 4-string bass though, so it's not that bad. Definitely going to keep this in mind when I design the pickup covers for my basses.

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been awhile since Ive posted here. Got a little done, built the tuners, fingerboard with fiberoptics on, a little shaping here and there. Going to route the other pup hole and hopefully finish the shaping 2morrow.

ihhhg5.jpg

Back

Finger board (second grade according to LMI)

Im not sure if Im digging the purple dye. This is one coat not sanded back, I did mix the dye rather strong. What do you guys think?

Control Cavity Cover

The tuners are just about finished these will have built in bridges with adjustment for intonation and string height.

tuner bodys

Its looking really nice. I like the fretboard a lot but i can see why lmi labelled as a 2nd, theres not really one grain line you can trace the whole length, and i cant really tell clearly from the photo but it looks like its not quartersawn either. It shouldnt be a problem and i certainly wouldnt refrain from using it but there you go.

I really like the poplar on the back

Looks great. I really don't like the purple control cavity cover. A nice color would be a more white color - to match the center of the poplar. Or a more red color - to match the cocobolo fingerboard. I think either would make a nice contrast.

Yeah Im not feeling it either, That will be the color for the front, but I think Im gonna sand the control cover and leave it natural.

I kinda changed my mind on the lower horn..... :D I also got the tuner parts of the bridges done. I put the bridge pup in at a angle to see what it would do to for tone. It should help even out the lows and highs.

Picture007-1.jpg

Edited by scottyd

I kinda changed my mind on the lower horn..... :D I also got the tuner parts of the bridges done. I put the bridge pup in at a angle to see what it would do to for tone. It should help even out the lows and highs.

Picture007-1.jpg

Hehe, very interesting. Don't know if anyone remembers but I posted a build several months ago earlier in the year and the body design, and change of design is almost exactly the same.

The original design

The augmented design

I guess great minds think alike

I built the endcap tonight this one will accept single ball strings. I find David King inspiring so I think the bell shaping on the string retainer is fitting. I like the idea of it letting you know where the end of the neck is. The design is my own however, the way the strings are clamped is the difference from others. It's built from brass, I love working brass, being a metal worker for some time I've only lately got into working with brass. The funny thing about this metal is it cuts like butter, but if you try and rush a cut especially drilling, it can turn ugly very quickly. This thing should polish out very nice. Also now that it's built I can finish shaping the neck to meet the cap. I'll also point out that the string slots are not done yet so be nice! :D

Picture018.jpg

Another view

Different angle

After a few hours of dying sanding back dying again sanding back again my $18 dollar top now looks like this. Still wet in the pic it will dry lighter. the pup holes and bridge recess will get a shot of black.

Picture031.jpg

Edited by scottyd