Anyone Want To Make Me A Neck?

Bottom line here, you're not going to get a neck made the way you want it under your terms, just not going to happen. Read this quote again and memorize it, it is dead-on accurate.

When you employ anyone to do work for you, be aware that you will have to choose from cheap, fast, and good. You can pick any two from that list, but you'll never get all three

eh? B)

what exactly is it about my terms that nobody here likes? Surely it's not a new concept in the luthery world, everyone else has been working on the same basic principals for hundreds of years.

I personally think that a few people have completely misread my first post & several more have just chirped in with their opinion on what other's have commented...let's go back to the start should we?

I contacted a professional luthier who has some household name clients about building me a custom neck. We went through all the options, he recommended some things & we settled on the spec, the build time & the price. I passed the details to my girlfriend who sent off a cheque for the full amount (although he only requested a deposit & the rest on approval) So far, this is standard business practice within any design or custom manufacture industry. After a few weeks (I was quoted 2-3) I gave him a call to see how it was getting on. He told me that he was in the process of moving house & workshop & would get started on it within a day or two & that he was sorry. I explained that I would like to have been informed sooner but didn't want him to rush it & make a mistake...we agreed on a two week finish. Now I'm hardly acting in a heartless or ruthless manner, as I didn't want to piss him off & get a crap neck Three weeks later, I've still not heard anything & my birthday has passed. I'm really frustrated because I can't get on with my project & my girlfriend's really angry because she's spent a lot of money on my 30th b'day pressie which never arrived. She calls the builder who says that he's had a nervous breakdown & hasn't even started the neck. We had a chat & decided to give him a week to start it or get her money back...we called him back & we all agreed that he will start it the next day. That's when I posted this thread

I asked whether anyone would like to build me a neck.

I didn't say that it had to be cheap.

I didn't say that it had to be made quickly.

I didn't say that it had to go through rigorous quality control.

I gave the specs & asked people to PM me if they're interested. Some people have, thankyou.

I thought that a UK builder would be preferable just in case more than anything. IF there's a problem with the neck then it's likely to be more easily resolved if we're in the same country. I think that I've shown just how tolerant I am. I'm no monster, dictating to everyone that they should make me this & that for £XX & it must be done tomorrow. I don't care if someone has several attempts at it just as long as they don't expect me to pay for them...& really, I can't believe that anyone honestly has a problem with that :D

If anyone's interested in making me a neck to the specs in my first post, then send me a PM with some links to your work, how long it will take you & how much you'd charge. I'll look through them all & if things aren't resolved by next week I'll go through them.

I'll take into consideration, price location, speed & previous work so don't try to undersell yourself or think that I will not consider anyone from overseas, I'll go with whoever ticks the most boxes.

Thankyou :D

First off, you are on a forum for hobbyists asking if anyone wants to build you a neck. Surely you don't expect the handful of pros here to shoot you a PM trying to get your business. They get plenty of business on their own, they don't have to actively seek it out. So, here in lies the problem -- really, the only people you are going to get PMs from (and pardon me if this isn't the case) are the hobbyists.

As for funding their trial & error...I don't think so. I asked whether anyone would make a neck to my specs, if they don't meet the specs then I don't have it...as far as I'm aware that's a common practice. If it takes 5 attempts to get it right & costs the builder 4 times what they're charging me then that's not my problem.

Yes, it is your problem, because the only people who wouldn't be able to nail your specs perfectly (aside from some freak accident where the neck gets chucked into a wood chipper) are hobbyists. The pro should get it right every time. And, of course, as a responsible consumer, it is your responsibility to actively seek out someone to do the work, not try to make the pros come to you.

Just my $0.02.

man, this is hard work!

I'm not just asking for pro's...where did I say that? All I'm asking is whether anyone would like to get paid to make me a neck. There's a whole bunch of guys on here that can build just as well as a professional. Setch is a locksmith so does that mean that he'd be allowed to quote? What about if someone is naturally talented but doesn't have any funds to buy materials...are they allowed to quote?.

If somebody thinks that it will take them 5 attempts then they should quote accordingly...that's ALL I'm asking. I don't care how long it takes them or how many attempts all I'm asking for is a quote. Then I can decide whether it sounds reasonable. If you don't think that you can do the work or are too busy or would rather wait for work to come to you then don't get in touch.

So is it a problem for me?...not at all so why are people so against me asking?

I'm a freelancer & regularly get work through people asking for 3d artists on forums, I've never met with such hostility towards it before.

Edited by biliousfrog

For what it is worth. I don't think you are being unreasonable in your expectations at all. When you mentioned why you wanted to ask around here.

I thought that I'd ask here because:

1) I can look at previous work that they've done.

2) It would likely cost less than having a "pro" make it but not neccessarilly be any less "pro" in build.

3) I don't have any radius/fretting tools & would rather pay for someone more experienced to use theirs

4) It could be part of their portfolio of "paid" work

Your comment #2 caught my attension. This is a mis-conception that seems common. A qualified non-"pro" is not going to be able to do the work any more cost effectively than a professional. Professionals have discounts on parts that most hobbiest do not. The only way it would be cheaper is if the person sold their work short or gave it away. That not withstanding you get into unqualified builders and that gets ugly.

Also when you noted;

I don't want to name him but he's got a few big names under his belt & was remarkably cheap, which I expect would be the main reason why he's holding back....under-quoted maybe?

This could have been a factor. Maybe the deal was too remarkably cheap, and though not your fault could be a reason why you are having problems. Pretty lame of the builder if that is the case, but you should remember that in the future. A deal that is too good may be bad.

You sound very reasonable, and your approch to checking work and so forth seems just fine. I think your topic does strike a note with many members. Mainly because of common posts asking for members to due work for less (which has led to bad results).

It is your birthbay present dude :D . I hope you get the neck just as you want it, and you have a great time with the rest of your build :D .

Peace,Rich

Edited by fryovanni

To repeat something that was mentioned several posts back, there are horror stories around here about people who funded a neck build only to be put off and put off and eventually lose their money. The members here are actively trying to help you avoid that. If anyone has misinterpreted your needs or intentions, well, better that your money is safe and that we're sorry.

this is not a cheap option and its based in the U.S

but they blow away Warmoth and will build just about anything

im not sure of a 25" scale or tilt headstock though

but here is a link

http://jamersonguitars.secure-shops20.com/index.html

just E-mail them

Edited by spazzyone

they blow away Warmoth

Please explain this statement. I can understand someone liking certain necks more than a Warmoth neck, I have no problem with that, but I've been using Warmoth for many many years now, they offer a ton of options, I think they were a leader in internet neck options and explanations when they first started offering them, and can't figure out how anyone could 'blow them away', their necks are quite nice to begin with, better than 70% of any other mass neck builder out there I would guestimate.

Not saying they're the best at all, and I understand a custom builder could possibly offer a -few- more options than they do, but not to the point where they blow them away, please clarify that for my edification and thanks. :D

they blow away Warmoth

Please explain this statement. I can understand someone liking certain necks more than a Warmoth neck, I have no problem with that, but I've been using Warmoth for many many years now, they offer a ton of options, I think they were a leader in internet neck options and explanations when they first started offering them, and can't figure out how anyone could 'blow them away', their necks are quite nice to begin with, better than 70% of any other mass neck builder out there I would guestimate.

Not saying they're the best at all, and I understand a custom builder could possibly offer a -few- more options than they do, but not to the point where they blow them away, please clarify that for my edification and thanks. :D

Jameson are part of Musikraft. They arent considerably cheaper than Warmoth, and you COULDNT get better quality than Warmoth unless they gave you free upgrades to 5A maple....

Although Warmoth necks always need fret end treatment, but id rather have the choice they offer.

they blow away Warmoth

better than 70% of any other mass neck builder out there I would guestimate.

you said it exactly massed produced which is warmoth with great marketing

chances are what your order from them is sitting on a shelf just waiting on your call

hardley custom built

jamerson on the other hand wont build till you order and its built to your order

not on a shelf just waiting for a home

ive had warmoth in the past but it does not compare to my buddies cocobolo neck with a kingwood board

that with just a tap test and makes me drool and the quality smoked warmoth hands down

they blow away Warmoth

chances are what your order from them is sitting on a shelf just waiting on your call

hardley custom built

jamerson on the other hand wont build till you order and its built to your order

ive had warmoth in the past but it does not compare to my buddies cocobolo neck with a kingwood board

that with just a tap test and makes me drool and the quality smoked warmoth hands down

hahaha!!

wow, the mood seems a little lighter in here now. :D

I might get in touch with jamerson & see what they can do, thanks.

I'm also very tempted to have a go myself but without any fretting tools, radiusing tools or access to a band saw...or any experience with neck making it could be a loooong, slow & expensive process. I'll make the jump sooner or later....hmm, we'll see.

they blow away Warmoth

hardley custom built

Ok..but trying one or two doesn't mean you have tried them all.

mmmmm biscuits :D

Anyone for Skeeter's Big Biscuits?

If you've been hungry in Gainsville come breakfast time, you know 'em.

Necks....try Doug at Soulmate Guitars, or Tommy at USA Custom Guitars.

Personally, I'd be much more worried about the specs of the tenon (and its fit to the mortise) than the scale or back contour. I'd never make a set neck with a tenon without the mortise in hand to dry fit it.

they blow away Warmoth

hardley custom built

You guys both ordered Cocobolo necks with Kingwood fret boards. You from Warmoth and he from Jamerson? Expensive testing.... :D

When you tap tested the two necks. What did you hear that made you drool :D, and share how that made you feel . This may be Pavlovian conditioned responce. Much the same as when I hear a bottle of beer open B) . Then again I may just be a lush :DB)

Peace,Rich

hardley custom built

If they have a neck sitting on a shelf that has all the options I want and ordered on it, personally I don't care how long it's been sitting on the proverbial 'shelf'. So much the better since I get it quicker sez me. :D

To me, if it has what I want on it, then it IS custom made for me, the time frame in which it was made matters not, and I don't understand why making it now as opposed to last month should matter much to anyone if it has what you want on it, or how the time frame alone makes it in any way superior.

They offer just about every option you COULD offer for chrissakes, so even tho you may like your neck better, which is perfectly OK by me, I still can't see where you could exclaim that they 'blow them away'.

Repartee? :D

+1 for Pavlovian response to a beer opening!! :D

Fortunately for billious there's a pretty good list of suppliers right here on PG in the Supply section.

None of us like using expensive "oops" necks to fuel the bar-b-Q, but it happens. Tool failure, our own stupidity, or whatever is something we live with. What's important to our clients is that they end up with the perfect neck they ordered.

-Doug

first to answer fryovanni

my neck is quater sawn maple with a ebony board not like my buddies cocobolo/kingwood combo

and by "tap Test" the only way i can describe it is when i knock on my neck it kinda has a thud

my buddies on the other hand almost dings like a bell and it just resonates like mad

so no its not a fair comparison being differant woods but its that resonation that makes me drool

and how does that make me feel? jelous as hell as i cant afford what he has

and as far as the bottle opening

its the differance between a can of beer and a fifty yer old bottle of scotch B)

Perry was that ha.ha.ha at me or my great marketing comment? ha.ha :D

and Drak what i mean by blow them away is the attention to detail

from the two example's i have seen there is a big differance in the qualitity and detail

im not unhappy with my neck by anymeans. i just know were i would by my next one from

but i wont be buying anything but bridges/tuners and electronics in the future as ill build my own

and +1 to Doug after all what you want and you get it that way is the bottom line

and im just stating my own opinion not trying to sway your own. after all your own happiness is what matters most :D

Edited by spazzyone

Spazzyone- "first to answer fryovanni

my neck is quater sawn maple with a ebony board not like my buddies cocobolo/kingwood combo

and by "tap Test" the only way i can describe it is when i knock on my neck it kinda has a thud

my buddies on the other hand almost dings like a bell and it just resonates like mad

so no its not a fair comparison being differant woods but its that resonation that makes me drool

and how does that make me feel? jelous as hell as i cant afford what he has

and as far as the bottle opening

its the differance between a can of beer and a fifty yer old bottle of scotch "

It makes sense that you would be attracted to the piece that sounds like it rings or is very resonant. You have to keep a couple things in mind though. A tap or thump test is probably not telling you much. To illustrate- When I "tap" soundboard and compair it to another piece. The two pieces are very similar in size and thickness. I also have to guess and use a bit of trial and error to find a node in the piece that will let it ring. I can hold a piece on a node and it rings like a bell. Move my hold a half inch away from the node and I dampen the ringing tone. To even attempt to find a node on a thicker piece of shaped wood with multiple pieces glued together would be a challenge. You could most likely find that node on your Maple neck and make it ring for you. I am really familiar with the woods you mentioned and I can tell you the way they ring is different(given they are well dried nice cuts). For what it is worth Hard Maple will ring like a bell for you, and Ebony will knock your socks off also. You just have to hold them in the right spot. So keep tapping your neck you may get it to sound like your old bottle of scotch yet :D .

Tap testing is really not much of an accurate indicator of much short of compairing very similar pieces or evaluating changes in a single piece you are working on. Along those lines if you are familiar with what a wood should sound like you can really tell if a piece has dried well(of course that familiarity could also tell you if it feels too heavy). Both are kinda ruff indicators, but handy.

Peace,Rich

well....I don't want to jinx anything :D .....but...it looks like I might be getting my neck by the end of next week. I say might , not because of what I've been told but because I'm being cautious.

He has assured me that it is well under way & should be finished & posted by the end of next week, so I'm keeping everything crossed.

On a side note; I've been waiting for my bridge to be delivered for 6 weeks because of problems with the distributer in the UK. It's a Graphtech/Tonepros wrapover with piezo saddles. I was told that the distributer was expecting another 2-3 weeks for delivery so I just bought it from GraphTech direct...it arrived in 2 days & should work out a little cheaper even with taxes & duty. :D