Fret Presses

Vince D

I bought the caul from stewmac and got a press from harbor freight. I used my drill press with stewmacs caul but it broke the table on the drillpress that moves up and down. I was pretty mad because that was a nice drillpress. The press form harbor freight is cheap, deffinitly get one and don't use your drill press.

Im about to start fretting a few guitar necks, and so far I have been putting the frets in hammering. I know fret pressing is easier, but is it worth the money to buy one. Are there any others besides the ones on stewmac that would be a little cheaper.

I have about $40 invested in this setup:

fretpress.jpg

Harbor Freight 1/2 ton press (I had a machine shop drill the hole in the bottom of the square steel bar to inset the caul holder as I did not have a large enough drill press at the time)

homemade caul holder (complements of Jay5's instructions) clicky

Stewmac brass fret caul

It works like a charm.

• 2 weeks later...

Im about to start fretting a few guitar necks, and so far I have been putting the frets in hammering. I know fret pressing is easier, but is it worth the money to buy one. Are there any others besides the ones on stewmac that would be a little cheaper.

I have about $40 invested in this setup:

fretpress.jpg

Harbor Freight 1/2 ton press (I had a machine shop drill the hole in the bottom of the square steel bar to inset the caul holder as I did not have a large enough drill press at the time)

homemade caul holder (complements of Jay5's instructions) clicky

Stewmac brass fret caul

It works like a charm.

There are a lot of cheap presses on ebay; some as little as $10 or $15. The cauls are a good investment. though and you won't be sorry after you use them. Just check the shipping on ebay as some people like to make up their profits by high cost shipping and handling. :D