Yellow To Lime Green Translucent Finnish?

music6man

Looking for any tips on creating a Yellow to Lime green translucent finish on my sons first guitar project.

Top is a figured maple, Swamp ash sides, maple walnut lam. Neck through Pau Ferro fretboard.

Although this is me and my sons first guitar we would like to get the best resaults possible, Have access to spray equipment, Stain or dye?, dye in Laquer?

So you want something like the guitar on this thread?

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=23037

You can go at it 3 different routes, either by stain both colors, stain yellow, clear intercoat,green translucent burst and clear, or just translucent colors all the way!

I would suggest the translucent and to bleack the maple to get the yellow to be nice and well "yellow", and then seal and burst with the green.

Make sure that you test on scrap before you actually comit to paint the body.

So you want something like the guitar on this thread?

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=23037

You can go at it 3 different routes, either by stain both colors, stain yellow, clear intercoat,green translucent burst and clear, or just translucent colors all the way!

I would suggest the translucent and to bleack the maple to get the yellow to be nice and well "yellow", and then seal and burst with the green.

Make sure that you test on scrap before you actually comit to paint the body.

This is exactly what I'm shooting for, execept the fade to green would be closer to the center of the body.

What does bleak the maple mean?, Should I grain fill before?, I have already purchase the water based laquars from stew mac I have mixed feelings about water based, I have read lots of the tutorails and finishing books but I have to admit I'm overwhelemed by all the different methods and technques.

I like the ideal of mixing the stain in the clear.

Do you happen to know what stain or dye was used to the the results from the guitar in the link?

I purchase a green liquid dye from stew mac and did some test on scrap on bear wood and was not happy with the color, But with the yellow behind I'm thanking it might brighten the green to the desired color Lime green, Neon green that I'm trying to achive.

do you thank the yellow stew mac dye will be bright enough?

Edited by music6man

What does bleak the maple mean

I believe that it should be bleach. I've not done this myself but by bleaching the wood you get a wood with less natural colour & therefore shows any dyes or translucent finishes more accurately. eg. the yellow should appear as yellow rather than an orangey, pinky, greeny shade of yellow.

what they did in that pic was stain the maple with the yellow, then sprayed a clear coat over the top of it.

Did you see them do that finish? How can you be so certain? As a matter of fact, only high value guitars, to include Carvin and And PRS stain the maple... if you order the regular colors all you get is a translucent coat!

• 1 year later...

On the yellow to Lime green burst, Should I apply the yellow stain on the wood, then seal Or seal first then apply color in the nitro. Also for the green outer burst is it better to apply a blue color over the yellow to get green, or apply green to get a lime green?

Water based laquar or solvent based for first time finishing?