Nooby Hollow Body Project

I am new to the forum as a member, I decided to join after searching the forum for different info and found it to be very informative. Anyway I was thinking on building a hollow body guitar based on a cheap 3/4 size parlor guitar that I have, ie making a boby that has the same shape. The idea is to get a cheap used LesPaul style guitar for the nech, pickups and tune-o-matic bridge, then I have a big piece of maple butcher block that was left over when my parents put in a new Island in there kitchen that I was thinking on using as the back and sides. After I router out the big heavy piece of maple butcher block for the back and sides I was thinking on covering the top with some 1/4" maple, or some other wood.

Mainly I am just wondering if anyone has any input on this idea. I have built two saga kits so I think I have a descent grasp of how to set up the guitar so that should not be to much of an issue. As mentioned I have been browsing around in the forum for info and have learned quite a bit. I also have done a bit of wood working, and have a good supply of tools at my disposal, except a plainer which is why I am wanting to use the butcher block.

Thanks.

:D

Mainly I am just wondering if anyone has any input on this idea.

You should ask your question if you have a particular concern. :D

Otherwise.... Sounds like you have built a couple kits. Now you want to buy a doner guitar for most of the parts, and try to make a body(Semi-Hollow) from a piece of Maple. Make your plans/templates(research and if you can't find something ask the question). Then get after it B)

Peace,Rich

I guess the main thing is if anyone sees there being any issues with using the butcher block as the body material, seems like it would work ok to me. Has anyone ever used this material for making a body?

You know, it's free, right? So just go for it...if it doesn't work out, find a new piece of wood and build another guitar.

I've been looking at something similar...I have this huge cutting board from Ikea, believe it's beech, tons of laminated pieces in there...it's like 6 cm thick...

Only thing though, you're not hoping that this will become any kind of acoustic guitar, right? My experience with doing this kind of thing (hollowing out a piece of wood and slapping a top on there) is that the acoustic sound is more like a banjo than a guitar.

That sounds like pretty much the same material as I am thinking on using, the nice thing is that all the different laminations are close in color and grain as it was an expensive butcher block, hance the reason my dad insisted on keeping the excess. As for what is sounds like acusticly(sp) I would not be to disilusioned if it sounds like a box with strings on it as the actual guitar I am copying sounds about the same, I was thinking mainly for weight, the stuff is heavy, as well as for the novelty of making a semi-hollow.

Another question, I was thinking on running a single neck humbucker that well be located in the sound hole which well actually be about 2 inches from the bridge. I figure this well give me some more high end on the neck pickup, being closer to the bridge, for a well rounded sound. Anyway do you think having the pickup in the sound hole well have any negitive effects, feedback wise, if the pickup is potted?

Well I might not be using the butcher block for the back and sides, my Dad told me he was intending on using it for other things so I guess that is out. I have come up with an alternative idea though, use 1x4 poplar cut in sections to go roughly around the outside and cut to shape, essentially a ring, and have 1/2" poplar on the back. I well probably keep the Maple top and stain the back and sides charry, which I have done on an amp before and it looks good.

Well I might not be using the butcher block for the back and sides, my Dad told me he was intending on using it for other things so I guess that is out. I have come up with an alternative idea though, use 1x4 poplar cut in sections to go roughly around the outside and cut to shape, essentially a ring, and have 1/2" poplar on the back. I well probably keep the Maple top and stain the back and sides charry, which I have done on an amp before and it looks good.

Well, to jump back in here. It sounds like you are being resourceful in your search for wood. Without getting too nit picky about the wood you use be sure it is nice and dry, and glue the joints nice and tight(clean joints). No matter what wood you use you will learn a lot about making a semi by doing the work, and really that is going to make you a better builder. Have fun with the project and make it the best work you can achive :D .

Peace,Rich

P.S. make good router templates, and keepthem for future work :D

On the butcher’s block score, real ones are all end grain on the face, is this or is this not the case with your butcher’s block?

USELESS FACT ALERT: Butchers blocks are where block planes got their name CLICKY and why they’re great for end grain.

Edited by NJD

I went and collected the bits and pieces I need to start building. I have not gone and bought any wood yet as I well not have time to start this project until december.

So far I have:

Neck: $80

Tune-O-Matic Bridge: $26

Tuners: $26

Strap Buttons: $3

Jack Plate: $3

Neck Plate and Screews: $7

Strings: $6

Total so far: $151