Gibson Rd Custom Refinish

Richie C

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for input on my recently aquired, stripped down axe. The guitar I'm refering to (incase ya missed the title of the topic) is a Gibson RD Custom. I got the thing for $30 from a guy who was gonna toss it out hoping that it was worth saving.

The main concern I have is the neck. There are worn down spots all along the neck that are almost grey in colour compared to the amber fretboard and neck. The back of the neck is flawless and I'm mainly concerned with how to go about fixing the fretboard problem. It's also a set neck I believe so I can't simply remove it. I'm looking to maintain the vintage colour throughout the entire guitar also.

I'd post pics but my camera is charging at the moment. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

there is no "problem" with the fretboard, it is just played, I don't think it possible to get the dirt out of the fret board in those areas, Either a new fretboard it you want it to look new, nice, and uniform or keep it the way it is and have it look like a played classic, I'd say leave it.

Those frets look damn near flat, so a refret my be in your guitar's future.

I would say leave it be. Although Rds are not sought after as much on the vintage guitar circuit, an original finish is always preferable to a refinished vintage guitar. The back of the guitar look to be in pretty good condition and the fretboard wear just gives it character. You got a steal for $30.

Cheers

Greg

there is no "problem" with the fretboard, it is just played, I don't think it possible to get the dirt out of the fret board in those areas, Either a new fretboard it you want it to look new, nice, and uniform or keep it the way it is and have it look like a played classic, I'd say leave it.

Those frets look damn near flat, so a refret my be in your guitar's future.

I was thinking the exact same thing about the frets too. The neck binding seems to almost overlap onto the fretboard and I was wondering if this will be a problem in re-fretting the neck. My next question is, would re-fretting a guitar be a reasonable first project for a rookie such as myself? If so, where do I begin looking to materials and what materials do I need?

Once again, thanks for the input.

Just take your time and read up and it should turn out fine. You'll need a fret nipper and a fret tang nipper because of the binding, you could put the frets in with a hammer if you don't want to spring for a press. and then leveling and crowning can be accomplished fairly easily with tools you probably already have lying around.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and make a prediction. As vintage Gibsons become more rare and higher priced, the vintage market will expand to sustain itself. There's already evidence that it's happening now. I think your $30 RD, if left in as close to original condition as possible, might be worth many many times that in just a few years.

My advice is proceed with caution. Go easy on the refin (preferably not at all), and if the guitar needs a refret, have it done by a qualified technician.

Two cents worth of free advice.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, but I have another "operation" I could use some guidance on regarding the same guitar. The bottom of the guitar is cracked in two places and looks like it sat in water for some time. Also, the RD came with pickups that had extra switch holes that I'm looking to fill in.

I was thinking what may work is cutting a template of the outside edges, glueing the cracks, then clamping the template on the guitar. As for the water damage, who knows. Once again, any input is great.

Here's the "patient's" ass end...

RD011.jpg

RD010.jpg

Again, I'd keep this guitar as original as possible, but now I'm pretty sure a refin would increase the value. I think you have the right idea about gluing and clamping the body back together. Others on this board have experience with the procedure. As far as restoring screwed-up Gibsons, look here. SGs are his thing, but you might get some ideas.

Also, here's some info I found on the RD. You have a rare bird there.

Again, I'd keep this guitar as original as possible, but now I'm pretty sure a refin would increase the value. I think you have the right idea about gluing and clamping the body back together. Others on this board have experience with the procedure. As far as restoring screwed-up Gibsons, look here. SGs are his thing, but you might get some ideas.

Also, here's some info I found on the RD. You have a rare bird there.

Thanks for the links. The guy who sold it to me only really told me that, "they stopped making them in the 80's" but according to the link I may have a first run on my hands....

RD007.jpg