Does Anybody Have A Mockingbird Body Drawing On Cad I Can Use Please?

Provide me with a full frontal picture (as large as possible9 and I'll see what I can do. Do you need if for dimentions only? What bridge are you planning for? Pickups? all this info is needed to do a CAD of the guitar

Provide me with a full frontal picture (as large as possible9 and I'll see what I can do. Do you need if for dimentions only? What bridge are you planning for? Pickups? all this info is needed to do a CAD of the guitar

here is a picture, its going to be a 7 string, not sure what the measurement is but maybe 67 mm, because its 65 mm at the 22nd fret, or if u know please tell me

mockingbirdpj3.jpg

lol sorry i dont know how to make the picture bigger without making the edges of the outline of the mockingbird blurry :S

Edited by themetalhankey

Thanks. I did a searcha nd came up with a few more.

What about the hardware? Humbuckers? two of them? Bridge? When I'm at it I might as well do the complete guitar, so hould you like the 3 on one side (or in your case 4 on one side and 3 on one) head or the straight head shape?

Thanks. I did a searcha nd came up with a few more.

What about the hardware? Humbuckers? two of them? Bridge? When I'm at it I might as well do the complete guitar, so hould you like the 3 on one side (or in your case 4 on one side and 3 on one) head or the straight head shape?

2 pots, 1 switch selector, 27 frets (fretboard angled at the 26th and 27th frets), 2 humbuckers :D bridge is gonna be a 7 string-thru (cus im too poor to pay for a floyd rose) lol. the headstock is going to be an ibanez headstock unless you can draw or get a picture of a b.c rich neck like so http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/...RONZE+COREE.JPG, heres a pic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ibanez_...ock_pointed.svg

id like all 7 machine heads on 1 side plz :D

can you provide me with an outline of the body as soon as possible please because i have to cut out the body soon, only 6 weeks left of school in first semester heh, and its only 40 mins a day

Thanks B)

Edited by themetalhankey

I'll try to get you the outlines tonight. In what format do you want it? .dwg? PDF? Are you using imperial or metric measurements?

I'm just assuming that you are doing a bolt on (doing the body and neck separately). Is that correct? Do you have a link for the bridge? I really need it for the right dimensions for the neck pocket. You also need to decide the neck width at the nut if I'm gonna be able to help you with this. The neck pocket (or the width of the neck at that area) depends on the string spread at the bridge and the neck and how much "extra" fretboard you would like to have on each side of the strings.

And BTW: You are doing it with a 25.5" scale, or?

HBs and 27 frets will be pretty narrow, but I'll draw it out for you to have a look at. Ill also test a "stretched out" version of the 6-in-line (7-in-line) head design. Have you had a thought about tuners?

Let me know and I'll get started

Edited by SwedishLuthier

I'll try to get you the outlines tonight. In what format do you want it? .dwg? PDF? Are you using imperial or metric measurements?

I'm just assuming that you are doing a bolt on (doing the body and neck separately). Is that correct? Do you have a link for the bridge? I really need it for the right dimensions for the neck pocket. You also need to decide the neck width at the nut if I'm gonna be able to help you with this. The neck pocket (or the width of the neck at that area) depends on the string spread at the bridge and the neck and how much "extra" fretboard you would like to have on each side of the strings.

And BTW: You are doing it with a 25.5" scale, or?

HBs and 27 frets will be pretty narrow, but I'll draw it out for you to have a look at. Ill also test a "stretched out" version of the 6-in-line (7-in-line) head design. Have you had a thought about tuners?

Let me know and I'll get started

.dwg is fine, im using turbocad, and metric measurements please :D

yes bolt on neck, and here is a link for the 7 string thru bridge (uses ferrules) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sch...itar?sku=513104

width at nut: 49 mm (im just lookin at these 7 string specs: http://www.kyowashokai.co.jp/caparison-eng...ellinger7.html) , width at neck pocket (22nd fret): 66 mm

yes 25.5" scale

I've had a final thought about the headstock, i want tit to be like so: http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1575 , if u can trace that caparison headstock that it, then 4 and 3 on the headstock like so. :D it'll look nicer

This is the type of "angled" fretboard that I mean at the higher frets,

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/caparison/horus.htm

and for tuners lets go grovers

and remember its a 7 string, 27 frets B) Thank you very much

I've completed the body blank, its 14" x 21", i just need the mockingbird outline to see if it fits or i'd need to add some extra mahogany onto it

Edited by themetalhankey

I have the outline ready for you. PM me your mail address and I'll send it to you. .DWG there is. I'm using TurboCAD too.

Regarding the bridge, I get that you are planning on using a Tune-O-Matic style as on that Schecter. But I need the measurements of the actual bridge. Where are you planning on buying it? I'm nagging you about this just to make sure that everything fits at the end. I would like to paste a bridge into the drawing, draw the nut with the strings in there and see how the fret board looks with a 66mm width @ fret 22.

Angled fret board end like that comparison, but both fret 27 and 26 “cut of”, or…

The Comparison head is no problem and Grover Imperials, or? :D Grover Rotomatics I guess.

The measurements are 18.59 x 14.75 right now so you will have to add a little or tweak the curves a bit

I'm planning on buying it at Long and Mcquade, but I'm not really sure how long it will be, can you just eye it up? lol, i can fix it once I get the actual bridge

LAST EDIT: and angle the fretboard at the higher frets, with the angled 7 string single coil pickup and 1 7 string humbucker at the bridge.

the wood will be: fretboard= maple, neck= maple,mahogany combo, body: honduran mahogany

grover rotomatics :D

hmm I still have alot of mahogany, i'll just cut up and glue a piece of mahogany 2" x 20" onto my blank

Edited by themetalhankey

hey SwedishLuthier, I printed out that mockingbird, i think the one u have sent me is just for 6 strings, now when i trace this onto my wood blank, do i just extend the neck pocket?

Like so, I print out the body of the mockingbird. 4 peices of paper. i glue the top left and bottom left together. i glue the top right and bottom right pieces together.

i trace the left peice of the mockingbird on my wood blank.

i leave a 8 mm space inbetween the right peice of the mockingbird.

Your neck pocket is 59.5 mm, and yes you told me to keep a space in there, so this is just im saying to see if you agree with this. The neck pocket of a 7 string should be 66.8mm, as according to warmoth ( http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks....=paddle_7string

)

Do you agree with this method or disagree? Thanks :D

You are right. The neck pocket of the first was baced on a six string guitar. I sent you an updated version last night (european time) were I have changed the neck pocket according to:

- the most common string spread I could find for a 7-string T-O-M

- the neck width at the nut you specified

- a "reasonably" distance between the strings and the edge of the fret board

- an equal string to fret board distance along the whole fretboard

All of tese factors will affect the neck pocket measurements. You cannot use any measurment and go with them. Thats why you need to have the exact bridge measurements to be 100% sure that things will fit at the end.

There are a few loose ends here:

Do you have any desired distance string-fret board edge?

Would you prefer a sligthly larger distance string-edge at the neck pocket (some do)?

These factors will affect how the neck pocket should be done.

Edited by SwedishLuthier

Using this as my guide on creating the neck, p.s my neck blank is 5 piece maple and mahogany, 30" x 4"x 3/4" thick, http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/anck.htm

How long should I cut the piece on the right side of the diagrams there, to equal the lenght of the 7 string headstock?

I know I might be going into this too soon/quick, but theres only a little amount of time in school left lol, just about 5 weeks.

I am thinking maybe 3" worth of the 30" that i have, cut it on 13degrees, then glue the 2 together to get the angled headstock, then just shave off the excess when I shape the neck.

Comments?

5mm is quite huge. I was going wild when doing the first draft and made it 4mm, but 5 is no problem. I'll wait for the measurement from the bridge. Ill finish it as son as I have that. With a head thickness of 13.5 mm (pretty standard, you need to check your tuners) you need at least 250 mm for your head blank for the comparison head and 13 degr head angle.

Ok, Now I'm making a checklist as to what to get, heres it so far:

7 string TOM Bridge

7 string humbucker

7 string single coil

7 string tuners

7 string tradtional truss rod (would I even need a special truss rod for 7 string guitar? Or do i just get a regular truss rod?)

Fretwire

Volume and Tone knobs

3 way switch selector

500k Log Pots

Strap Locks

Back Neck plate Screws

Wiring

Metallic paper cover

7 String ferrules

Is there anything I'm missing?

Edited by themetalhankey

• 2 weeks later...