Replacing A Nut?

A guitar I am fixing up had a very poor nut replacement which didn't work. Basically, it was glued in with one of those intense wood glues that supposedly makes a bond that was tighter then original if you reconnect a piece of wood.

Anyway, I need to get the nut off and find a better way of setting it up. How do I get it to come off if the glue is so strong?

You should be able to just knock it off with a small hammer and a block of wood, that is, if its not a Fender style strat/tele nut and the nut is made of bone. :D Strings off, lay the block on the frets up against the face of the nut and give the block a sharp "rap" with the hammer. The nut should pop right off. If excess glue was used then there might be a tiny bit of tearout underneath but thats easy to fill afterwards. If the nut is made of plastic and its really glued in there then there is the chance that the nut will leave something behind, :D . Then just file the remainder off.

Thanks, I think I'm going to try Southpa's way first, and if that don't work, I'll try cutting it.

That leads me to my next question. How much should a decent nut run me? The guitar is only a project really. It doesn't have the greatest pickups or anything, so I'm that concerned with which one will give me the best tone, I just need it too work.

You can't just buy a nut and pop it in. You either have to take it to somone to put one in or buy a nut blank and shape/slot it yourself. The blanks are only like $5 but without the proper slotting tools ($70) you will have one hell of a time slotting it.

To understand more about nuts you should read this and this

Funny this should come up. I just finished cutting a perfect bone nut for one of my guitars. You don't need to buy those expensive nut slotting files. I used cutting torch tip cleaners. They are dimensioned by drill bit sizes. I just matched the ones I needed up with the strings I was putting on the guitar. I did the whole thing, from blank to finished product, in about 45 minutes. Maybe next time I'll take some pics and assemble some sort of tutorial. :D

Hey Southpa you beat me to it.

I have also been using oxy cutting torch tip cleaners to file my string slots for years now.

I looked at the price of nut files, too expensive, and looked in my toolbox and fished out a couple of sets of tip cleaners. I am an ex engineer by trade.

I cut them with my fret slotting saw first and finish off with the appropriate size tip cleaner file. Works great and very cheap.