So I want to Build my first guitar HELP

:D This is my first post here and my first question i'm asking..I have an idea for a guitar and can't say what it is cause don't want no one to steal it from me and beat me to it...but I have an idea for this guitar and the body is going to be easy... really no curves but my question is if I have necks already made like tunning pegs and frets and all that junk already made , but the body isn't made yet..what do i do..where do i get it..can i get my supplies from a home depot.. and basicly its just cutting out the body from a blank piece of alder or ash wood and then using templates for pickups and bridge right and other holes right? please ANY info would be helpful..thanks in advance guys..

Nick B):D

Greetings fellow desert dweller!

:D

Um... You should check out the tutorials on this site, they are very good, and answered most of my questions. Also, go to the references section and read EVERYONES website and guitar how-to's, then come back here for more specific questions. Thats what I'm up to anyhow!

In any case, it never hurts to ask.

hey man

i am pretty much in the same boat as you are. may be a bit further. this is what i did. i templated my friends Ibanez RG 470 on to some cardboard. body and headstock. for the headstock i reversed it, i think it looks better. than i added some cuts and points to the headstock pretty much creating my own original headstock. the body horns are bit longer too.

i wanted a baritone scale with 26 frets. to do this i used a program called winfret. i used the length of the fret board and knowing where to connect it on to the body, i had the neck pocket dimensions at this stage. the fret board made 21 inches, so then 6 inches up the body would be where the bridge is. with bridge to neck = 27" scale = baritone.

with all the accurate dimensions, i then went about making templates on to MDF. so far i have the body, the fret board, and the headstock. next i will make another template of the body with pick up routing, neck joint routing, electronic holes, bridge holes, and another of the neck with fret board connected, with the headstock on a 13 degree angle. yes i am creating a peghead.

this is the wood i am using:

Body: 2 piece Honduran Mahogany

Neck: 3 piece Rock Maple-Wenge-Rock Maple - Quarter-sawn 1 piece Neck

Fret Board: African Ebony

hopefull this will create a death metal machine guitar.

if you don't know what the hell i am going on about. you should do some more homework. i have been studying this stuff for about 2 months straight now. it won't take long if you are obsessed with it like me. i hope this helps or inspires you with ideas.

Page.

this is the wood i am using:

Body: 2 piece Honduran Mahogany

Neck: 3 piece Rock Maple-Wenge-Rock Maple - Quarter-sawn 1 piece Neck

Fret Board: African Ebony

hopefull this will create a death metal machine guitar.

i think Alex (summo boy) was saying that EMG's go really well with mahogany for a good metal tone... just something to consider..

and i'm with dave, what's with the neck 3 or 1 peice?

hello

in response to death metal tonage, i am one step ahead of you there dude. i have 1 EMG 81 sitting in its box ready to be inserted in the bridge. [in about 4 months time] yup, only one pick up in the bridge. i want as much wood on the axe as possible.

and i have to reitterate the neck. i have not actually glued the neck together yet. but i might swap the piece of wenge to a piece of bubinga that i should hopefully get tomorrow. it will be 3 pieces of wood glued like: maple-bubinga-maple - you got that part. so the grains are forming that of a quarter-sawn cut neck. plus the headstock is angled. that is going to be one piece. not a piece that is cut off, turned around then re-joined like the typical peg heads. --> the mothod used by Gibson, Ibanez and so on. that's what i meant, 1 piece neck & headstock.

Cheerz!

Page.

ooooh i refer to that as a laminate quatersawn, (not really sure as to the correct term) i've started doing that and i think Rhoads did it on his carvealicious guitar that happens to be guitar of the month right now. and i think the correct term for the seperate peg head is scarf joint, so you're not using a scarf joint. :D

TO: canuckguitarist

I am pretty sure cocobolo is the wood you are refering to. Many mfg. won't use it because of toxicity. It sands so wonderful though. Boogie Bodies guitars made a whole series of guitars using this wood. It leaves sawdust that is gold colored. :D