Neck Help

Jon

Any suggestions on how to fix this mistake? This was my first go-round with tapering a neck with a router. The clamps weren't down tight enough and eventually slipped. Theres really only one bad area, pictured in the first picture. The rest of the mistakes will be taken out when rounding over the neck. Sorry about the crappy pictures, all you really need to see is what's in the thumbnail.

th_neck2.jpgth_neck1.jpg

My only ideas are epoxy or glue + sawdust.

Any suggestions on how to fix this mistake? This was my first go-round with tapering a neck with a router. The clamps weren't down tight enough and eventually slipped. Theres really only one bad area, pictured in the first picture. The rest of the mistakes will be taken out when rounding over the neck. Sorry about the crappy pictures, all you really need to see is what's in the thumbnail.

th_neck2.jpgth_neck1.jpg

If you are dead set on using this, then make a template to allow you to route off both sides of the neck and glue additional lams on otherwise start over. as others have suggested

MK

id cut it right down the center; laminate a new center piece and try again; if your headstock is stretched from the middle, you should still be able to save your original design; the new piece only has to be twice as wide as your mess up;which looks like 1/4" (so 1/2'' piece); ithink right......1/4 " on both sides, i thinnk thats how that works; is that right..................? :D

Well, since you've got access to lots of wood...

One thing I've been having fun working with is making wood patches...you could go with the same wood, and the patch would end up more or less invisible. Or you go with a contrasting wood, and end up with something cool --say, a wild type of fretmarker. You can clean up the glitch to the shape you want. Add more of the same up and down the neck. Bet it'd look very cool.

What I never understand about a lot of people here: We're building our own custom guitars. But most people here seem obsessed with building guitars that look like they belong on the wall of Guitar Center.

When I want a manufactured, over-glossed cookie mold guitar, I go buy one. In fact, I have several. What's interesting about building my own is that I can embrace my mistakes, allow them to force me to find a solution, and see where that takes me.

A tapering patch can be inconspicuous to the point of near invisibility if you do it well. The trick is to taper the ends of the the patch, creating a scarf joint which flows into a feather edge. Once the neck is carved it's pretty difficult to find the scarf if you grain match it and glue it tightly.

I made my neck to narrow for the fingerboard for the semi- hollow body I'm building at present so I laminated a strip of the same piece of timber on one side. Once it was cut to shape you cant even notice it. One thing hand building guitars does, is teach you how to hide your mistakes and we all have those at times.

I made my neck to narrow for the fingerboard for the semi- hollow body I'm building at present so I laminated a strip of the same piece of timber on one side. Once it was cut to shape you cant even notice it.

Ah, I've been wondering about that one...I prepared a couple of really narrow necks, but then I started to have second thoughts, wanted to make them a couple millimeters wider at the nut. I think I'll give it a go then...