Aidlook's No.2

aidlook

Ordered some parts from Guitarfetish just to get started on something new (still waiting for an opportunity to put a finish on my first project...wich I play on every day now).

This is the basic hardware (and what I'm planning on doing).

Bild109.jpg

One push/pull pot for tone and phase switching (don't know if it's possible but it was just an idea I had, anyone know if I can achieve this)

one volume pot.

nice white bell knobs.

floyd rose licensed trem from guitarfetish (probably crap, but at that price it was worth checking out)

The rail pickup is a GFS.

White overwound humbucker.

standard LP switch..

not shure about the bodyshape yet....but the neck will probably have tree of life inlay.

A thing that struck me while writing this was if I could coil-tap the rail humbucker by adding another push/pull pot instead of the regular one. Any electronics-wizards out there??

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone see my source of inspiration?

I see a bit of Scott French in it. :D

Yeah definately...I love his stuff, it's amazing, unique and stylish.. and I like the body shape a lot...so instead of "tweaking" a les paul or a strat. I had that in mind and then tweaked the curves to how I liked them.

That was just a quick thing I made in AI...I might still end up doing an explorer shape...

That looks cool! Caparison headstock? Is the neck/fretboard going to be set that far into the body, how many frets are you going to have?

Actually I just copy/pasted the neck from an illustrator drawing I did of IA's caparison signature...Just couldn't be bothered drawing another neck... :D..

It's probably gonna be a 3x3 headstock or 4x2.... and a 24 fret neck.

• 2 months later...
I'm thinking of cutting of the first fret making it a shorter scale, anyone tried this?

i don't think i understand your question....it seems as if you think chopping off the 24th fret will somehow shorten the scale from 25.5 to something less than that...that's not how it works,buddy....the scale is based on ALL the frets placement...22,24,or 93 frets is not going to change that in any way...your bridge will still need to be 25.5" from the nut....no less

it would allow you more space for pickups...but that's it

I'm thinking of cutting of the first fret making it a shorter scale, anyone tried this?

i don't think i understand your question....it seems as if you think chopping off the 24th fret will somehow shorten the scale from 25.5 to something less than that...that's not how it works,buddy....the scale is based on ALL the frets placement...22,24,or 93 frets is not going to change that in any way...your bridge will still need to be 25.5" from the nut....no less

it would allow you more space for pickups...but that's it

No...not the 24th, the first, moving the nut closer to the twelft.

But I'm worried it might be too short...anyone tried?

well...i have never even thought about it...i think it would work...kind of like a permanent capo...but all of your fret markers would be off...your 12th fret would then be 11....and it would look very bad.

but why would you want to do that?what is wrong with 25.5"?

I'd like a shorter scale neck I think, and fretmarkers wouldn't be a problem since I haven't put any in yet.

some things t think about...ho would you get rid of the first fret?because the strings are likely to rest on it as they break over the nut,which would cause buzzing because the strings would not seat well...

if you get rid of the first fret entirely,how would you cover the truss rod rot which would then be exposed?

if you get rid of the first fret,and your truss rod is a dual action,there will be nothing for the truss rod nut to work against...

i say it's a bad idea

No...not the 24th, the first, moving the nut closer to the twelft.

But I'm worried it might be too short...anyone tried?

If it's an unfretted, un-inlayed 25.5" scale fretboard, and you haven't built the neck yet, cutting it off at the first fret should work fine if the nut is placed right where the crown of that fret would have been. The only question would be if the scale length is too short. Using the Stewmac fret calculator, 25.5(total scale length)-1.431(distance to first fret from nut)=24.069. IMO too short unless you tune up or use heavy guage strings.

Probably better off finding a 24.75" or 25" fretboard, but it's up to you.

Edit: My brain must have blocked out the part where said you bought a neck! By misreading, It looks like I accidentally understood what you were talking about! :D

• 3 weeks later...
thanx...looks like it'll be sort of half a jimmy page mod....

here's a drawing I just made in Illustrator...I'll probably be doing something like this. (anyone see my source of inspiration? :D

gitarr1.jpg

Cool Scott French influenced shape! I'm curious about the cutout at the bottom of the guitar. Did you have a practical reason for that or was it primarily an aesthetic choice?

Regards,

Rob

Looks sweet Aidlook where in Sweden are you?

Göteborg....yourself??

thanx...looks like it'll be sort of half a jimmy page mod....

here's a drawing I just made in Illustrator...I'll probably be doing something like this. (anyone see my source of inspiration? :D

gitarr1.jpg

Cool Scott French influenced shape! I'm curious about the cutout at the bottom of the guitar. Did you have a practical reason for that or was it primarily an aesthetic choice?

Regards,

Rob

No...mainly aesthetical...But I'm not so shure anymore, might do a completely different shape. I'm getting the wood some time next week, most probably alder, and we'll see what it turns out like once it's cut