Waterbase Lacquer Vs Nitrocellulose Lacquer

The waterbased laqs are very sensitive to temp. and humidity. If conditions are just right it works good, but it is no where near as flexable as Nitro.

I am limited to what solvents I use. If I have the right conditions and timing I shoot waterbased, otherwise I french polish(which is actually a nice way to go anyhow) . If I had my choice I would shoot nitro for it's flexability.

Peace,Rich

I talked to an knowledgeable guy in the store where I bought my Pre-cat lacquer. I asked him about the water based lacquers and he mentioned the whitish finish and that it is a softer finish so they have stopped stocking it and only sell the solvent based lacquers for their harder more durable finish and rapid drying / curing time.

This is the reason I use a particular brand of pre-cat as it does not contain isocyanate's which are pretty nasty chemicals without the proper respirators / spray booth extractor fans etc.

Hey anyone using a HVLP gun and how do you find it?

Edited by Acousticraft

I find shooting Target's USL (ie, StewMac ColorTone) is just fine, easy, no problems, but then I have more experience shooting waterbased than nitro. No fogging, high gloss, good clarity, but it isn't quite as hard as the nitro I've shot from time to time. I'm going to try KTM-9 next, because I really don't have anywhere to (safely) shoot Nitro, and I doubt my neighbours would be wild about the fumes outside...

I have used the old StewMac water based finish, crystal, and the new one, colortone. The old one was much better. Dried hard and was polished to a much nicer finish. I newer had any problems with fogginess when using that. It could also be applied in much thicker coatings without problems. With the new one I have get a much duller appearance and in the first one I used I got a lot of fogginess because I shot it as thick as the old one. The finish isn’t that hard as the colortone either and it takes longer to dry hard (or as hard as it gets). So if you can find that one go for it. I have a gallon of the KTM-9 standing in the workshop for the next projects but I have not used it yet. I was so disappointed with the last batch of colortone that I will use it to finish anything in the house but guitars.

I used Crystallac before StewMac switched to Target PSL, and now to USL. USL is, IMO, the best of the three in terms of hardness, looks, and polishing. Only problem I've had with it is on one acoustic guitar. I'm not entirely happy with it, so KTM's the next step, and maybe Target's Polyurethane 'conversion varnish'.

Right now I'm using ML Campbells Krystal clear. It's a conversion post-cat nitro that dries rock hard and is fully cured in 48 hours. I'm having awesome results with this stuff. Other finishes I've tried make wenge look like solid black, but this stuff really brings out the grain. It's really easy to spray, and get this, It's only $22 a gallon.