Fretboard Wood Choices - Why And Why Not?

I've just finished slotting a padauk fingerboard for my five-string bass (will update the thread soon) and am about ready to get installing. Whilst idly looking for further info on padauk, the Warmoth bodies and necks section on woods say it cannot be used for fingerboards (or maybe they just don't like using it). I find this a bit hard to believe as the wood is strong and stable enough! I would hazard a wild guess at the size of the pores not lending itself to the "dirty end" of a guitar/bass? Well i'll Tru-oil it then :-D

:D

Are *really* any practical reasons as to why you "can't" or "shouldn't" use padauk as a fretboard?

Some rosewoods have big pores, not as big as padauk, but it doesn't stop people from using them unfinished. If you like it, go with it.

However, I must say that Tru Oil is not a very durable finish; string wear will eat through it much faster than polyurethane. And it will take at least 60 coats (I'm not kidding) to fill the pores with TO.

Padauk is more than stable, I'm using it in a laminate fingerboard on my 6-string and have a few other Padauk fingerboards laying around for future projects. It looks great with a high polish and has a great feel to it. I'm not sure why they'd say it can't be used as a fingerboard wood.

The Padauk I have worked with didn't have that large of pores, but the wood is relatively open grained regardless. Epoxy / grainfill and put a clear coat on it! Padauk turns to a Walnut color over time and all that awesomeness will lose it's character (to me, at least). I've seen this happen with a few custom basses, I'd much rather have that bright orange color than a dark walnut color.

The Padauk I have worked with didn't have that large of pores, but the wood is relatively open grained regardless. Epoxy / grainfill and put a clear coat on it! Padauk turns to a Walnut color over time and all that awesomeness will lose it's character (to me, at least). I've seen this happen with a few custom basses, I'd much rather have that bright orange color than a dark walnut color.

you could try laqwuer thats uv protective (whatever its called) ive heard from some luthiers that thats the way to keep padouk and purpleheart wood keep their awesome color.. never tryd it myself though

you could try laqwuer thats uv protective (whatever its called) ive heard from some luthiers that thats the way to keep padouk and purpleheart wood keep their awesome color.. never tryd it myself though

I'm sure any clear coat will protect it from darkening as quickly as a simple oil coat. Regardless of what's on it, I'm sure it will fully darken 10, 15, 20 years down the road. I guess it's personal preference on color - I'd just prefer to keep a nice piece or orange wood that color. If I wanted to use Walnut, I would. I have had some Padauk stored in my house over the past 4-5 months and none of it has changed color. So I guess strictly keeping it away from the sun and proper storage will keep it from darkening?

Well, maybe padauk is kind of like a wife.... It starts off all bright and shining, but then over time - little by little- it becomes more warm and comfortable. In my opinion the guitar gains character as you do.

- but if you figure out how to combat the forces of nature, I'm listening.

Nate Robinson :D

http://www.kbguitars.com/gallery/view.php?gid=14

That has a body made of Manzanita, and as the builder says "it's one of the hardest woods he knows of". If it's stable and holds frets well enough I can't see why you can't use it, hence my initial disbelief that Warmoth don't offer padauk boards!

Go for it, but be sure to post your results here as you go! I for one would be interested in seeing how it turns out :-D

Well, maybe padauk is kind of like a wife.... It starts off all bright and shining, but then over time - little by little- it becomes more warm and comfortable. In my opinion the guitar gains character as you do.

- but if you figure out how to combat the forces of nature, I'm listening.

Nate Robinson :D

more warm & comfortable?....in my experience they become more cold & twisted :D