Anyone Round London With A Drum Sander?

Setch

I'm working on a bit of non-guitar carpentry which would benefit greatly from being run through a wide thickness sander. It's a pair of faux-panel, cabinet doors with the 'panel' being 19mm ash veneered MDF, and the rails and stiles solid ash.

Despite my best efforts to get the ash planed smooth I'm getting hairy-tearout in some sections - I've never known such contrary grain! I've tried the router thicknesser, and even that causes some tearout, so I'm left with the abrasive solution.

Does anyone have, or know of someone who has access to a thickness sander which could handle 430mm x 445mm doors? Any chance I could drive over and run my doors through it in exchange for a nominal sum?

I'm based in North London, so someone fairly local is preffered, but if I get desperate enough I'd consider going further afield.

Cheers in advance...

**EDIT**

Ah - problem solved.

I flipped over the iron in my old jack plane, so it was bevel up. That raised the cutting angle a shedload, so it's almost a scraper plane, and *BINGO* no more tearout, even with the throat gaping a 1/4" wide. Much easier on the thums than a cabinet scraper too, and it made lovely floaty shavings.

Nice!