Guitar Cnc Business Idea

Like I said. If you work it out cool.

I have no issues with CNC it is a great tool. I see no reason to debate the tolerance of the equipment. No matter what, in the end CNC only goes so far in the process. You can see plenty of fine sub $300 clones that have been machined pretty well, but in the interest of efficiency are still just well machined junk.

The value in high end guitars is still back in the hands of a skilled luthier. A skilled luthier does not need high production levels to make his wage. High production shops do need the reputaion of that luthier to sell guitars for better than Toys-R-Us pricing. So in the end ramping up production and increasing efficiency by taking the guitar out of the hands of a craftsmen, and into the hands of the program operator is not always good. A great tool like a CNC router in the hands of an experienced luthier that knows how to use it can be a wonderful thing.

Good luck,

Rich

Even the accuracy of a sloppy cnc is fine in guitarbuilding.... after all, when it's final shaped, we still sand it and loose 10-20thou.... or more... or a lot more.... then finish it... and depending on the type of finish can easily add 10-30thou....

If you're talking $80,000 cnc... you better be looking at a haas with auto tool changer.... and another line of work to keep it running a full shift.

I'd be thinking a lot smaller than that. A CNC able to do 1 body, or one neck is not very big, and if you look around, you can find all the help you need to build your own for about $5K or less.

Personaly, I'd be very interested in one off custom inlay sets. Key point being ONE OFF. Which you could add to your library and sell to someone else if they liked it, and I wouldnt care, but many wouldnt like that.....

I see no point for you/or me to think about doing bodies, as they are simple, and not worth me paying a dime for someone to do it for me. I make neckthru's... I dont worry about no sloppy ass neck joint..... Even if I wanted to do multiple carved tops, I would just make my self a duplicater if I wanted to save time. Making my own duplicater would cost less than paying someone to program and cnc them for me.

If you choose to build up a library of body designs people can choose from- assuming you not sell a customers design without consent, could be a good idea, but expecting someone from here to order 5-10 bodies is quite unrealistic.

I really think that the most likely way to get started, is a small cheap cnc doing inlay work. I hope you get it off the ground, I'd use you for inlays. Got a project just sitting right now waiting for someone that can cut pearl straighter than me......

I think your take on what people think of cnc is about right... I dont have a problem with work being done by hand and CNC.... after all, I cant cut pearl worth a damn by hand..... I understand what CNCs are good at, and good for- no biggie to me.

Perry- You're wrong. It takes 6 hours man and machine time to make a MIA strat.... You need to streamline. :D:D

Wow, I'm getting wore out just reading this thread. It's your dream, and your venture. More power to you. If it works for you, good. I can just say a lot of guys that responded to this thread speak the truth. I take most of what they tell me as thoughts well chosen, as for they know from doing. Me I am a novice still learning, and I take good advice when I can get it. I get a steady supply from this fourm. Good luck

J

This is do-able.

Pick some popular body shapes: Telecaster, Strat, San Dimas, EVH 5150, Ibanez Jem and could easily sell them on eBay for at least 150.00 to 180.00 each and reaching your 5 guitars a month quota would easily be done.

If you went into set neck kits, you could probably sell a bunch of those too.

This is do-able.

Pick some popular body shapes: Telecaster, Strat, San Dimas, EVH 5150, Ibanez Jem and could easily sell them on eBay for at least 150.00 to 180.00 each and reaching your 5 guitars a month quota would easily be done.

I would rather buy from Warmoth, for the same price, who led the industry in this field, and is in it for the long haul. I cant say the same for an ebay seller.

This seems to be a dream of yours and something you really seem to wanna get into... But just don't let that blind your judgement. We all want things but sometimes you can get a bit carried away and won't realize what's really possible. If you really believe this will work out realistically...then by all means just go for it. But bear in mind that these people telling you not to, would probably all want you to succeed but are just giving you the facts...If you want to listen to them or not is up to you.

This is do-able.

I would rather buy from Warmoth, for the same price, who led the industry in this field, and is in it for the long haul. I cant say the same for an ebay seller.

That's your personal preference - All I said is that for 5 guitars a month, its doable. Will it pay for a CNC machine? I have no idea.

If the work is of good quality and the price is right, a lot of people (not everyone) buy from eBay. I did some research and found that certain body styles command higher prices than others like the San Dimas, EVH 5150 and Jem. The quality has to be there though.

Lynn Ellsworth sold on eBay for a while, so did Jim Donahue. They probably did it just to try it out and don't really need the extra business and hassle of eBay.

This thread has been an interesting read for me because a few months back I was looking for a shop to do a couple custom bodies for me. I had done all the CAD work and didn't need any modeling done, just add cutter paths and machine. I felt I needed NC for this design because it had a curved top, a fairly complex shape and a very detailed control cavity.

I can tell you I had a heck of a time finding anybody that wanted to take the job on!! The one guy that did return my request couldn't read the data I sent (IGES) and frankly didn't seem interested in working with me to get something he could read.

As a result I ended up going to a local shop that did a lot of NC work for molds. This shop ruined three nice black limba body blanks and could never produce a useable body. Hence, I never got the bodies done and lost a customer for a $2100.00 bass.

So, I for one would be interested in a RELIABLE, HELPFUL, TIMELY and ACCURATE shop that could take my CAD designs and do a nice job of cutting a custom body (and necks too). I certainly would pay more than Warmoth prices for this kind of service on custom stuff that was Warmoth quality.

This thread has been an interesting read for me because a few months back I was looking for a shop to do a couple custom bodies for me. I had done all the CAD work and didn't need any modeling done, just add cutter paths and machine. I felt I needed NC for this design because it had a curved top, a fairly complex shape and a very detailed control cavity.

I can tell you I had a heck of a time finding anybody that wanted to take the job on!! The one guy that did return my request couldn't read the data I sent (IGES) and frankly didn't seem interested in working with me to get something he could read.

As a result I ended up going to a local shop that did a lot of NC work for molds. This shop ruined three nice black limba body blanks and could never produce a useable body. Hence, I never got the bodies done and lost a customer for a $2100.00 bass.

So, I for one would be interested in a RELIABLE, HELPFUL, TIMELY and ACCURATE shop that could take my CAD designs and do a nice job of cutting a custom body (and necks too). I certainly would pay more than Warmoth prices for this kind of service on custom stuff that was Warmoth quality.

So the body was too complex for you to produce yourself?

The local shop had to cover programming and the cost of three Limba blanks and recieved nothing for the time and material? Kinda makes sense as to why others may have not shown interest.

Sounds ruff.

Peace,Rich

So the body was too complex for you to produce yourself?

The local shop had to cover programming and the cost of three Limba blanks and recieved nothing for the time and material? Kinda makes sense as to why others may have not shown interest.

Sounds ruff.

Peace,Rich

Maybe it's more of a question of being able to produce the body economically..? FWIW, even a starter CNC can do all the back cuts, pickup cavities, neck pocket, & carve the top in about 45-60 minutes.

That's the type of work I was thinking (hoping) may be more prevalent.. A case like that should be pretty easy to handle since the surfacing work is already done. I'm not sure why they couldn't read an IGES file though - that's a pretty generic format. There really is a surprising lack of public/published knowledge about what speeds & feeds & toolpaths work for each part/ for each wood type, etc....not to mention fixturing issues...so I'm not too surprised that they scrapped a few..

FYI, once you have that surface, the programming cost is negligible...you're talking minutes on some of the easier to use packages.

If I decide to get setup, I sure hope there are a lot of other folks looking for carved top bodies....!

I've been reading this thread with some interest and I've got to say that TechArt certainly doesn't dound like some kid with the usual "I want to....". Not that there's a problems with this as I was exactly like that.

One of the major factors that you would have if you set up the business is flexability. This is what I like about small companies. I have worked for large multinationals and they are a nightmare for getting any change or redirecting focus. However, with a small company like the one I cuurrently work for (well it was small, there were 6 of us 2.5 years ago, we're now over 100) you can change about and refocus which is absolutely essential.

I wouldn't look at being a man who will do the custom inlay work or the man that will produce bodies and necks. You are a bloke with a CNC and there are a lot of things that need to be CNC'd. I would say that bodies, inlays and templates would be only one of your income streams. It's comming up to christmas so maybe CNCing wooden Darlicks, Christmas trees and pull along trains might bring in more money. Paint your own wooden Easter Eggs at Easter, who knows maybe even wooden turkies (it is thanks giving over there isn't it) :D

I was always taught that it is the product that pays the wages, well I was taught a few ways of business thinking, but this is the one that stuck with me. You need to keep the CNC spinning and to do that you need to be more flexible than a yoga teacher in a high wind. And then you need to send me a few bodies........

........For quality control purposes of course B) .....But you're not getting them back.

Kaj :D