Bridge Advice Sought

Current build: double-cutaway sycamore/mahogany guitar, zebra HB's and bolt-on 24 3/4 scale maple/rosewood neck.

I have 3 choices for the bridge:

1) Strat-type hardtail (don't want a trem)

2) T-o-M with conventional tailpiece

3) T-o-M with thru-body ferrules.

What do you think of the tonal implications of these different bridge systems? Any recommendations? I can't make my mind up :D

Current build: double-cutaway sycamore/mahogany guitar, zebra HB's and bolt-on 24 3/4 scale maple/rosewood neck.

What do you think of the tonal implications of these different bridge systems? Any recommendations? I can't make my mind up :D

I'd go with the strat hardtail bridge. The T-O-M would be too tall, unless you angle the neck

or route a slot in the body. If you routed a slot, it would probably still be hard to adjust the height.

In my opinion there are no tonal differances other than how the bridge effects your picking style. I'd go for the bridge your most comfortable with playing wise or which you prefer astheticaly as they're the two deciding factors really.

In my opinion there are no tonal differances other than how the bridge effects your picking style. I'd go for the bridge your most comfortable with playing wise or which you prefer aestheticaly as they're the two deciding factors really.

I'm not so sure about this. If anything, from what I've read, the bridge is one of the critical factors in the sound of a guitar.

It makes sense, since the bridge is always in direct contact with the strings. In fact, it's the only part of the guitar in direct contact with the strings at all times.

There's a lot of agreement that the telecaster bridge has a big impact on the guitar's sound. Ditto the strat bridge and trem block. And the original aluminum non-compensated wraparound Gibson used is said to have a sound all its own.

That said, I agree that the choice of neck-joint is a big factor in your choice--if you don't want an angle, then you don't really want a TOM (I don't really like recessing the bridge as a workaround).

Although I also agree that looks should be a factor too. As for comfort--I haven't had much trouble switching from a wraparound to a strat to a TOM etc.

What do you think of the tonal implications of these different bridge systems?

This is going to be hard to quantify, because design is going to play into the equation. How solid the connection is to the body, how much the saddles or bridge are able to vibrate, how the metal transmits string energy, string break angle over saddles, possibly strings being pinned through the body. Effectively the bridge is an anchor how much it dampens the string vibration will be a factor of all of the above. Another thought is that a poor coupling may deminish or alter the amount of effect body woods dampening or resonance would alter tone. Too many factors to give a straight forward answer.

Any recommendations?

My personal belief is simple, solid and reliable is better. Hipshot or a well machined hardtail does seem to make a good showing in all those areas. A TOM could certainly have it's own benifits depending on design(same could be said of baby grand, fine tuning stop/bridge combo, even bridge piece/ tail stop systems), but if I had no compelling reason to use any other bridge I would use a hardtail(well machined).

Peace,Rich

thx for the replies, I've ordered a strat-type hardtail from Axes'r'us. This guitar is ending up a little 'SG'-like, flat profile, no neck angle, I don't want the strings ending up an inch away from the body, and although I like the recessed t-o-m (see the new Organic guitars), in practice its a real pain getting to the thumbwheel to adjust height when its recessed.