I Need Some Help On Truss Rod Adjustments Read For More Details Please

you see im afraid to go too far and which way to adjust.

this guitar is about 10 years old and i and putting some pretty heavy strings on it (13 - 53) the 4 four bottom strings are wound, and im tring to lower the action because its bowing the neck

which way should i adjust to get this tention? to teh right or left? (if i have the ehadstock pointing at the roof haha)

and does the adjustment show imediatly or will it take a few minutes for the wood to give or what?

sorry if this has been posted already in another thread. but i could'nt find it if it were there lol

its my first neck adjustment and im afraid ill break the thing even thought its el cheapo haha. still would like to make a player out of it.

thanks much guys and take your time in getting me an answer.

-Metal Matt (oik i think i got all of it lol later again)

Edited by Metalmattm

This guitar of yours is an electric with 13's-53 and 1-4 strings are wound? Ok well unless I'm mistaken you are to have your guitar in a players position and tuned up to pitch. Now turning your trussrod clockwise (to the right) will straighten out the neck if you have too much relief. To check your relief depress the highest fret with your right hand and the second fret with your left hand and you want anywhere between .007-.015 thousandths of an inch between the bottom of the string and the 7th fret. Now I use this other way but it's kinda hard to explain, this should get you in the ballpark though.

gl,

Ken

This guitar of yours is an electric with 13's-53 and 1-4 strings are wound? Ok well unless I'm mistaken you are to have your guitar in a players position and tuned up to pitch. Now turning your trussrod clockwise (to the right) will straighten out the neck if you have too much relief. To check your relief depress the highest fret with your right hand and the second fret with your left hand and you want anywhere between .007-.015 thousandths of an inch between the bottom of the string and the 7th fret. Now I use this other way but it's kinda hard to explain, this should get you in the ballpark though.

gl,

Ken

yes it is an electric, and yeah in players position. i do have too much relief being i jumed from a set of 10s to a set of 13 - 56s (the 1 - 6 strings from a 7 string set of 10s)

i understand what you said, now the other thing i needed to know was if the neck will show the adjustments imediatly or will it take some time for the neck to give from teh rod bending it?

thanks for your help Ken.

-Matt

When I tighten the adjustment on my truss rod, I detune the strings, turn the nut 1/4 turn clockwise at a time and sight down the fingerboard till it is straight then re tune let it settle and keep retuning till it holds its tune. It can take a while for the neck to stop moving. When it holds it tuning you can then judge the neck relief at that point. You may then find you need slightly more adjustment so repeat the procedure. I have found some necks need 24 hrs before they settle and stop moving especially an acoustic guitar.

When I tighten the adjustment on my truss rod, I detune the strings, turn the nut 1/4 turn clockwise at a time and sight down the fingerboard till it is straight then re tune let it settle and keep retuning till it holds its tune. It can take a while for the neck to stop moving. When it holds it tuning you can then judge the neck relief at that point. You may then find you need slightly more adjustment so repeat the procedure. I have found some necks need 24 hrs before they settle and stop moving especially an acoustic guitar.

ok this helps me too! thanks a lot man! and by the way its an electric guitar lol which i plan on putting around b standard tuning all strings down 2 and half steps.

I push a bend in the neck (the way I want it to go), tighten the truss rod a quarter turn, release, check how it's settled in. Repeat as needed. This prevents putting too much strain on the rod itself.

wierd, i did do that lol i went out and set it that was the first thing i did when i adjusted it the otehr night, tried bending it back some and did and adjusment and waited a couple hours and checked it then did it again. i can fit a couple pieces of peper between the 7th fret wire and the string. the action is perfect now! thanks everyone!

-Big Matt :D