Things Not To Do When Calling Tech Support.

Some of you may know that I work for a big software company doing tech support. Over the years I have run into some pertty funny and pretty annoying things people do. Heres some of them.

Stay awake....I've answered the phone many times to people sound asleep and snoring. As funny as it is how do you expect to effectively troubleshoot a problem if youre tired. And don't get mad at us if we wake you up. You called us.

Dont yell at the person you are calling..... The last thing you want to do is piss off the persion who is supposed to help you. As if we truely care about your problem. If you're nice, most times I'll bend over backwards to help people.

Know where the backspace key is.....or at least the basic functionality of your computer. Nothing more annoying than explaing how to right click. An no you dont write the word click on the screen.....true story.

Don't breathe into the phone....its not one of those calls.

Dont complain about the previous tech that you couldnt understand. I find it funny.....but i cant comment :D

Dont read every screen. A good tech can read it to you before you get there, if they cant hang up and call back cuz you got a newb.

Don't be difficult....difficult people get disconnected.

Speaker phones suck....period.

Don't comfort your child while theyre vomiting....I know its life, but does the computer need to be fixed that bad.

If you're on a cordless and need to use the john.....don't take us with you. We don't mind holding the phone....really!

one more thing, make sure all your hardware is connected properly.

i was on the phone with a tech from my isp for about fifteen minutes the other day trying to work out why i couldn't log onto the net.

when he asked me to check if the filter was on the phone line, i discovered that the phone line had been pulled out of my modem. :D

how red was my face :D

the guy i was talking to was very good and didn't ridicule me, but i felt like an idiot

cheers

darren

I'll plead guilty. Back in 1996 I got caught, thinking my dail-up had been disconnected. Apparently though the tech was savy in this new computer age and quickly handled my dail-up failure with a, "TURN YOUR CAPS LOCK OFF IDIOT!"

R-

I work in 2nd level tech support for a large American multinational automobile company. First level is in India. Last week, I got a case:

"User's network cable is unplugged. User wants someone to plug it in"

So, this guy had to call from America to India who sent a case to Ireland who sent it to a guy in America to plug in the network cable. And these are the people who design the cars you drive?

Edited by feylya

I work in 2nd level tech support for a large American multinational automobile company. First level is in India. Last week, I got a case:

"User's network cable is unplugged. User wants someone to plug it in"

So, this guy had to call from America to India who sent a case to Ireland who sent it to a guy in America to plug in the network cable. And these are the people who design the cars you drive?

oh thats standard american tech procedure.

I once got paid $18 a hour to setup a room of rack mount servers for a company that was closing its location at this office. they KNEW it was closing, but still had us setup 15 rows of servers and storage devices.

I found out 3weeks after we got it all plugged in a zip tied, the building closed, and the servers were removed.

ummmmm... what. aparently, some tech guys wanted to use the servers for tests untill they were moved.

hundreds of dollars in labor and setup, for 3 weeks of linux tests.. hmmm...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure, in the customer call support industry, there's scope for the odd wager on who can draw the customer out the longest.

This guy must have come close to beating his fellow call support staff. He may have also won the annual 'I'm a five star caller staller' award for that year. :D

I ran a store for a small mom & pop computer store in the 90's, back when computers had a hard on/off switch, not like the modern switches. After a routine repair in which the client waited while her computer was fixed (since she drove an hour), she left happy only to call an hour later to rip me a new one. She barked between me and the tech, but after trying everything, the only option we were left with was to have her bring it back in... A few minutes later she called back even angrier... "You guys shut the D*#& thing off, thats what the problem was, I use the power strip to turn it off and on"....

Now between myself and the tech, we must have asked this a half a dozen times. We laughed at this lady for years, everytime some other crazy would say something someone would throw in... you turned the D$@# thing off...

Got some other ones...

Dont answer a question with another question.

If you feel you are being hacked call the FBI not us. The fact that your cell phone is ringing all the time means someone is calling you....not a hacker. *see next sentence*

If your are clinically crazy ...dont call. We find it amusing but really you need a shrink not tech support.

If you are about to commit suicide.....call a friend. I hate those calls....

Your ISP is full of it. Don't believe anything they tell you.

If you are deaf get your kids to call....they're generally better with computers anyway.

Things Not To Do When Calling Tech Support:

expect there is more than a 50% chance the person on the other end of the line knows more than you already know and/or gives a $hit about your problem.

So so true

And Years ago when I was a support tech, I had one that wanted to know why we put the floppy in a hard plastic case (3 1/4 / 1.44 disk). It was difficult to remove the floppy from the plastic case he explained, and then it didn't work either (go figure, LOL:)) . That was after sending him his third set of replacement disks. True story! I was tech support in 1990 for the product ACT!

LOL:)))

MK