Spalted Maple Score

MiKro

Well done man.

See you in five years when it's dried :-D

It's already at 20% MC so it won't be that long LOL:)

I'm looking at the trunk and considering a top made from a slice. All endgrain on the top. Might be interesting???? Thinking about adding some stale beer/peters mix with a plastic wrap to get the spalt more active since the fungus is already there. The trunk is large enough for a full body cut on the end grain. Never seen that done. Might be very cool???

I also see a lot of potential fretboards, stabilzed of course with CA or epoxy in these as well.

We'll see what happens.

MK

damn i wish i could find anytype of usable wood at a roadside :D

Drive around and keep on looking They are out there.

MK

just found some pecan today!!!! LOL!!! about a mile away, most is small (4" to 8" diameter) and will go to the smoker for meats, the large stuff ( 10" to 16"). Who knows??? I figure about 60 bd ft of large stuff after milling

mk

Well done man.

I'm looking at the trunk and considering a top made from a slice. All endgrain on the top. Might be interesting???? Thinking about adding some stale beer/peters mix with a plastic wrap to get the spalt more active since the fungus is already there. The trunk is large enough for a full body cut on the end grain. Never seen that done. Might be very cool???

I also see a lot of potential fretboards, stabilzed of course with CA or epoxy in these as well.

We'll see what happens.

MK

MK

just found some pecan today!!!! LOL!!! about a mile away, most is small (4" to 8" diameter) and will go to the smoker for meats, the large stuff ( 10" to 16"). Who knows??? I figure about 60 bd ft of large stuff after milling

mk

Nice work mister. :D I think it would be fun to play with spalt, but I don't have much experience with it. I fear I would end up with a useless log. Have fun with it. I would love to hear how it turns out and some suggestions on how you go about the process.

Peace,Rich

You don't use spalted wood for fretboards, stabilized or not, terrible idea.

Good find otherwise. B)

Thanks Drak,

I'll remember that and use the smaller pieces accordingly and not for fretboards. Would look nice though!!!

Might have to make some small boxes and stuff for EBAY!!

Thanks again,

MK

Well done man.

We'll see what happens.

MK

MK

mk

Nice work mister. :D I think it would be fun to play with spalt, but I don't have much experience with it. I fear I would end up with a useless log. Have fun with it. I would love to hear how it turns out and some suggestions on how you go about the process.

Peace,Rich

Thanks Rich,

The first step is locate all the nails and other metal things in the wood before cutting. I already missed 1 very small nail and now have to resharpen my chainsaw.

LOL:)

mk