Just Got This Idea Goin

how bout taking two logs of body wood 22“ x 14“ x 2“ like let's say maple n walnut. taking the maple for the bottom and the walnut for the top. carving them both out... and glue em together... this would be... pretty damn big n heavy... n make no sense at all? like going into semi-hollow territory with it and having a bigger sound chamber? n just being more solid? would this sonically make a lot of difference to the use of a walnut top?

just a quick freakin idea of mine... probably mental diarea

keep it coming

cheerio

Try it if you have a good design which is structurally sound and theoretically practical. Seriously. Before this thread turns into a:

- "oh, that would be like xxxx guitar but with different xxxx"

Ideas can easily be dampened down by aligning them with ideas that are already in place. Follow the established guidelines of instrument making and you'll make something which is undeniably of your own making and brainchild!!

Although, It'll be freaking heavy - yes.

Edited by Prostheta

how bout taking two logs of body wood 22“ x 14“ x 2“ like let's say maple n walnut. taking the maple for the bottom and the walnut for the top. carving them both out... and glue em together... this would be... pretty damn big n heavy... n make no sense at all? like going into semi-hollow territory with it and having a bigger sound chamber? n just being more solid? would this sonically make a lot of difference to the use of a walnut top?

keep it coming

cheerio

I'm building a 2" thick explorer :D

I like hefty guitars.

Les Pauls are > 2" thick, I don't see why you shouldn't do the same. Go for it! Do It

keep it coming

cheerio

I'm building a 2" thick explorer :D

I like hefty guitars.

Les Pauls are > 2" thick, I don't see why you shouldn't do the same. Go for it! Do It

I ain't talking bout ONE 2" piece of wood but TWO of them glued together after taking out a lot of the wood... that will be really heavy...

I have 2 questions:

1. How many guitars have you made?

2. What are you looking for in a guitar that makes you think it'd need to be 4" thick, hollow or not?

If the answer to the first question is zero, the advice round here always used to be start simple, then when you can do that, move up in difficulty. Learn to make a wheel before you reinvent it.

If you can't provide a decent answer to point 2, look at the answer for point 1.