Some Cool Yet Funky Maple ...

fyb

I work at Home Depot (hey ... ya gotta make a living :D ) and I ran across this funky piece of maple the other day. It's got some unusual looking (at least to me) figure, so I thoughI'd snag it. Here's some pics ...

hdmaple1ki8.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/769/hdmaple2jn6.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3557/hdmaple3ln4.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's hard maple (it works, feels, and smells quite a bit like the hard maples I've used before though I'm no expert) so I was wondering if I could use it for something guitar related. It has a bit of twist it in it so I can't use the whole board at it's present thickness, but I figured that I could joint & plane it down to a more managble thickness and flatten it out.

It looks like it's sorta birdseyed, but with hints of quilting (sort of) and almost 'fishscale' patterns. I though't it'd make a crazy looking fretboard if it'd be stable enough. It's almost like it'd be birdseyes if it were farther out from the center of the tree. It's neither flat/rift/quartered ... you can see a part of the growth rings' arc like it was only 5-7" from the center.

What do you think? Is it usable?

Thats what you call Popcorn Quilt

and yes it is most likely hard ....Good Find

and yes it is very useable. and depending on how bad the twist and can be removed on a joiner

but you dont say it dimentions so i could not say

Edited by spazzyone

Thats what you call Popcorn Quilt

and yes it is most likely hard we have a bunch of that stuff....Good Find

and yes it is very useable. and depending on how bad the twist and can be removed on a joiner

but you dont say it dimentions so i could not say

Cool!

Here's another pic I tweaked a bit to make it look a little more like it does in person.

popcornmb0.jpg

As far as dimensions, I bought it as a 1x6 and 3' long (so really it's like 3/4" x 5 1/2" by 3'). I think I could get it flat but it'd be in the 1/2" to 3/8" range, depending on how careful I am and how my jointer blades are doing! :D

Edited by fyb

Absolutely cannot be used! Won't work on a guitar at ALL. You'll have to send it to me for proper disposal. lol

I say cut it into top sized lengths, then send it through a thickness sander, then resaw for drop tops. Cause after the re-saw and the thicknessing to get rid of any cupping it won't be thick enough for carved tops. As for the thickness, gather a couple scraps and make some lines in between to make the whole thing wider. Like a center line of purpleheart, with maple, then mahogany then this stuff, it'd look hot and that's the only way you'll get it wide enough for a top.

Chris

That looks like a figure that is found in Birdsey. It is not exactly quilted, but looks like something between quilt and cats eyes. Very cool figure to say the least, and as long as it is well dried it should be comperable to other birsey. I think Perry had a guitar with a Birdsey neck in the last GOTM, and you may see the similarity in figure.

FWIW- "Popcorn" quilt looks much like dense dime to quarter size quilts.

Popcorn

Peace,Rich

I hate Home Depot, they've driven my favorite local lumberyard all but out of business (down from 5 stores to the 1 original, and don't get me started on their typical wood quality.

That being said I joined a roomie on a parts finding trip a month ago and scored big on 3 quilted redwood 1"x6" boards (8 foot boards). Unfortunately one is about 1/3 sapwood, but they're all nicely ripple-quilted through and through. I can't bear to make shelves out of 'em and they're too small for tops unless they're resawn 3 times. So now they're just sitting in a corner of the garage with some gorgeous padauk with a slight sapwood edge (I love the contrast between the cream and the now redish purple wood) I bought 4 years ago on impulse. Think I'm gonna make a red-themed coffee table out of 'em.

Any other suggestions? Maybe I'll put up my own neener-neener Home Despot pics.

-Dave

No maple? Really? Everytime I've been to home depot I've found at least moderately flamed maple. In fact my usually screw around wood has become flamed maple because it's like a buck more a board than warped fir and the flame doesn't cost more.

However, like I said earlier, I have started avoiding Home Depot if possible. Maybe now I'll ditch them because they show favoratism to us Californians!

-Dave

The home depot stores out here in CA don't carry anything like that. And you are right... they have driven the good wood places out of business. I used to go down to Fresno for hardwoods. They once had a warehouse filled with every sort of hardwood you could imagine. Now they carry nothing but a few pieces of cherry, redowood, maple, and stacks and stacks of cheap sheet goods.

Michelle

Hahahaha Rich, got here JUST before me! Darn you!

Yeah, I'd say sticker it for a little under a year (since it's not quite an inch) and weight it. You don't wanna lose any more thickness on that from warping and cupping!

I personally keep things stickered and stacked even AFTER they are fully dried... call me paranoid... I hope that's not bad lol.

Chris

Yeah, I'd say sticker it for a little under a year (since it's not quite an inch) and weight it. You don't wanna lose any more thickness on that from warping and cupping!

I personally keep things stickered and stacked even AFTER they are fully dried... call me paranoid... I hope that's not bad lol.

Chris

What do ya'll mean by the term "sticker"?

Chris

What do ya'll mean by the term "sticker"?

Beat you to it again Chris :D

It is simply placing sticks between stacked wood to allow for air flow, and even drying. Sealing the endgrain with wax paint or what have you is another preventative measure. You will also hear weight and sticker. Which is placing sticks and adding weight to the top of the stack. All this is to help evenly dry and aclimate wood to equalize it's moisture content with ambient humidity.

Peace,Rich