Tele-esque Design

peterhanson

I understand where you are at with staying in the limits, but personally I wanted to try stepping out of the limits. Seeing as how this is my first build, I'm going have to take GregP's advice and not mess with the original design too much. It'll just make things A. too hard and B. not fun. Thanks again guys. Plus after I get this guitar out of the way, then I'll be able to start something new and different and maybe less out of the box wink.gif

You conform this instant! You know what this reminds me of? You know how they took the parker fly (actually nitefly) shape and made it look like a tele? This looks like you've taken the other parker shape and made it into a tele. I still say stick with the original design.

right, i was just comparing the nite fly to my own. So the difference between a good flowing squared off guitar and mine is the upper horn and my tele round over?

Some people like a certain continuity in designs. I as you already know, think the body looks good as is. Parkers upper horn is parallel to its lower horn, That basses two horns have the same shape pretty much. A tele is symmetrical until the lower cutaway is removed as is a Les Paul. They all just have this symmetrical think going on. Yours does not and some people don't like it. i like the switch up and originality of it.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

I really like Parker's headstock too.

Sure, I agree, but if my guitar looked like that, then it would be a replica. I love the shape of a Parker, but I wanted to stay closer to a tele and adding an extra horn didn't allow me to do that in my eyes. And I fully agree, Parker's headstock is rockin.

What I like to do when I design a new body, is once I get the drawing to my liking, I cut a template out of cardboard and put it in the kitchen, or the office, or the shop… and keep looking at it. This way, I see it when I’m not thinking about it, I see it when I’m stressed or relaxed. Sometimes I’ll walk by it a hundred times, then something will catch my eye and I’ll make some changes. It stays there until I’m happy with it.

What I like to do when I design a new body, is once I get the drawing to my liking, I cut a template out of cardboard and put it in the kitchen, or the office, or the shop… and keep looking at it. This way, I see it when I’m not thinking about it, I see it when I’m stressed or relaxed. Sometimes I’ll walk by it a hundred times, then something will catch my eye and I’ll make some changes. It stays there until I’m happy with it.

+1, only I tend to leave it as a sheet of paper for a while, so I can scribble notes on it. Then I re-draw, cut out the paper, and stick it to a wall somewhere I can see it, and then still scribble notes on it, and then repeat the whole thing on a new sheet of paper...

I'll keep that in mind for future builds, but for this one i have already routed out the body contours and rough cut the body as well. So now i have shaped the neck, and started on the body, which will be posted in the works in progress forum as soon as i bring my project home this weekend.

Edited by peterhanson

• 4 months later...

iv always hated tele style shapes and i really dont like the square horn.

im more into pointy really :/

• 2 weeks later...