First Commissioned Build

That sheds a whole new light on the subject. One he knows your work. Two this is not a regular commission. You are keeping your work close, and the owner will have not have a regular "client" familiarity with you. I am not going to comment on value, because it as a matter between friends, and I am sure you guys can work that out.

As far as the specs. I only saw a serious issue with the non-adjustable neck. The rest is subjective, and really up to you guys. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Plan every detail well. Hold your standards high, and make it as close to perfect as you can. Don't rush or push your schedule(forget the value of your time-craftsmanship and patience over all else). Make this the finest work you have ever done, and an instrument you will be proud of.

Peace,Rich

I've got a little tear wellin' up after that. That was beautiful. I'll keep you guys up dated on progress and hopefully I can make a beautiful axe

I think a full out commisioned build is a bad idea if you're just starting out.

I haven't built a lot of guitars but I get asked if I can build customs and I always reply with a hefty price tag to discrourage them. I also tell them that they could buy their guitar cheaper from the local guitar store and that they should think about what they want and see if they can get it in a store then customize it. Most people don't realize that a custom guitar should be exactly that: Custom. Something you can't buy off the shelf. They also don't realize that a custom, hand built guitar is more expensive than a factory guitar

I'm doing a custom for someone now but there's no deadline, no pressure, no money. We both build something and exchange. He's seen my work so he knows what I can do. He also knows that its the first time I attempt certain aspects of the guitar building process.

I don't mind charging for setups and modifications 'cos I'm really confident with that aspect of my work. I don't look for work though, it comes and finds me and a lot of times I refuse.

For your project, I would refuse. If he insists, lay down the rules and see where it goes. He may not be really serious.

Well, that is different --you should have given all that info in the first place. Obviously it sounds like you're getting into this more for the fun of it than anything else.

Which makes all the difference. Go for it --do it for the cost of materials plus one six pack of beer (shared).

make it a 12 of bud and I'm there.