Jehle's Logo Tutorial

Xanthus

For my truss rod cover, I was thinking of going with Jehle's transparency-paper-and-laser-jet method. I was wondering, however, whether or not the logo would blend in with the paint I'm using.

My main concerns are: Will the edges of the transparency paper vanish over A) 2 or 3 coats of clear, and B ) a candy red basecoat.

A) with the clear needed to cover the basecoat and then sand down, if I put a piece of transparency paper on, the logo will technically be "floating" above the red basecoat. Would I happen to get a shadow reflecting on the red basecoat?

B ) I wanted the trussrod cover to match the bevels and the back of the neck: HOK candy apple red. I like the look of a plain black headstock, but still want some sort of logo, so I thought the truss rod cover would be a natural choice. Since the candy is such a richer color than most, not to mention red is a pretty light color, might I get discoloration in the area of the logo, because of the transparency paper?

Has anyone ever done this before, the logo over a solid color, not bare wood, like in the tutorial?

Thanks, guys.

Edited by Xanthus

I used ink-jet decal paper on a guitar a couple of years ago. It works by printing onto the paper (in reverse I think) & then spraying a light coat of laquer over the top to seal it. You then cut out what you need, soak the paper in warm water & the clear decal seperates & can be placed onto the guitar. You then clear over the area until it becomes flush.

Here's a link to the finished article, http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/Steve...;s%20guitar.htm

The problems that I had were bubbles under one of the decals & a slightly noticable edge to the decal which is due to the laquer sinking into the body rather than a problem with the transfer paper. Beacuse the paper needs to be laquered prior to soaking with water it is quite stiff & doesn't take to curves very well.

The decal paper is clear and the ink from the printer is transparent. If it is not over white it will not show the colors well. If you are using a black logo over the candy red it should show up ok. The decal is pretty thin but still requires several coats of clear and sanding to level. after leveling a few coats of clear finishes up.