Perspex Mirror..

kitsch

I personally doubt it but I have seen some mirror vinyl that can be smoothed over most shapes if heated with a hair dryer. It's quite tricky to do unless you've had experience with vinyl before, I worked on car graphics for a few years so I'm quite good at it....most people end up wrapped in the stuff. when it's heated it gets very soft & stretchy & the glue gets really sticky, the trick is to use a little water on the back so that the glue doesn't stick until all the water has been squeezed out.

Thanks, however I was looking at the morror vinyl alternative earlier, but basically a company that sells them told me that this type of chrome-like vinyl will only last for a couple years or so, before it loses its mirror fx...That's why I was gonna go for a more permanent thing such as perspex...

My first choice would be actual chroming, but "do-it-yourself" chrome painting doesnt really turn out any good, and professional chroming is just too expansive...

Thoughts??

Wood shifts around too much for chroming or any film finish. You could possibly vac-form a plastic substrate to the top, then a film of chrome or mirrored vinyl, and then perhaps some protective cover. I'm not 100% if you can vac-form Perspex although you can do pretty much anything else with it....

As far as I know, you can't laquer over aluminium or stainless or galvanised steel because they release a chemical which protects the surface from corrosion. To paint over such metals an etching primer is needed which eats through this barrier to produce a surface which can be painted.