Removing Enamel Paint ?

pyure

hey guys,

picked up a cheap strat copy from a friend of a friend recently, and it looks like the previous owner got a little creative and tried to paint with enamel straight onto the original finish. needless to say it looks pretty bad and quite a bit has rubbed right off. Is there anyway I can remove this layer without damaging the original finish ?

Im thinking nail polish remover or castrol super clean, but thought i'd check here first

thanks

dave

hey guys,

picked up a cheap strat copy from a friend of a friend recently, and it looks like the previous owner got a little creative and tried to paint with enamel straight onto the original finish. needless to say it looks pretty bad and quite a bit has rubbed right off. Is there anyway I can remove this layer without damaging the original finish ?

Im thinking nail polish remover or castrol super clean, but thought i'd check here first

thanks

dave

Brake fluid will take it right off. Oh, you said without damaging the original finish. Never mind. :D

quite a bit has rubbed right off

That puts you ahead of the game right there. Obviously the enamel coat wasn't laid down properly, ie. bad surface prep, whereas the underlying original finish is fully cured. So it would take longer for any solvents to actually affect the original coat. Try a variety of solvents eg. acetone, paint thinner, etc. (see what is most effective) on a rag and rub the enamel vigorously and then wipe off quickly with a paper towel. The trick is not to allow your solvent to settle anywhere on the original finish or it surely WILL do some damage.

Edited by Southpa