Inlay Technique...

Unrealize

When I was cutting my pearl, I found that for me, the easies was really just to print the design on paper, and use spray glue to put it on the pearl, and then cut it... I think it worked just fine, and now I was thinking perhaps I could apply the same technique when routing the fingerboard? Perhaps I would set the paper on fire, hehe...

Well, it is just a thought, but it would seem like a way easier method of transferring the design to the fingerboard, rather than to scribe it on.

Alright, just airing an idea here...

Cheers!!

But what happens if you dont cut it EXACTLY as per the paper outline, when cutting the pearl?? Then you have a hole in the fretboard which doesnt match?

Why not just scribe around the finish pearl piece, ensuring the fretboard cutout can be IDENTICAL??

Edited by Maiden69

But what happens if you dont cut it EXACTLY as per the paper outline, when cutting the pearl?? Then you have a hole in the fretboard which doesnt match?

Why not just scribe around the finish pearl piece, ensuring the fretboard cutout can be IDENTICAL??

Well, it might be a little design related if it would be a good practice or not, but as I have it now, the pearl is ligned up nicely to the print, and then while routing, just take it slow, and testfit as I go. I don't see a reason why it should be less accurate than scribing by hand...

Thing is, if you're me, it won't. I'd rather have a cavity that's a little bit tight (which usually happens when I stick my pattern onto the substrate and route based on that), because I can't scribe around the cut out pieces as tightly as I can route to a line, and then widen where needed. Larry Robinson uses this method quite often as well.