How Thick Are Sg's?

i don't know...most guitars are 1 3/4"...but i vary my guitar thickness based on numerous factors including type of bridge,whether the guitar has a long enough upper horn to not take a nose dive if the body is too light,density of body wood(my bubinga explorer will be slimmed down to about 1 1/2")...stuff like that.

but likei say..most are 1 3/4"...that's pretty much standard

Here´s a page from a catalog that says the SG it's 1 5/16" thin:

http://www.everythingsg.com/catalogs/1962%...%20Standard.jpg

That webpage helped me a lot when I built my Sg so it probably you'll find it useful as I did.

And like Wes said, you probably will be just fine with a 1 3/4" body since you may feel the measure from the catalog a little bit thinner for your taste. Good luck,

Alberto

1 - 3/4" is one fat SG. I built one that measures 1- 9/16" and I consider that kinda thick. The whole thickness profile, neck and body is one of the thinnest I've encountered making for an extremely lighweight guitar. I tried out a '68 cherry and was surprised how light it was, almost neck heavy. The necks on those original guitars tend to be wide and very shallow. I almost bought that guitar for $900 Cdn but the back was nasty buckle rash.

Edited by Southpa

The SGs I've seen are really thin -- I had the feeling they were about the same thickness as the Melody Makers, which are around 40 mm.

But SGs are also famous for being neck heavy, so I don't know why you'd want to follow Gibson's specs.

For sit-down (couch) guitars, I like a thin body, just more comfortable. But for standing up, I'm more comfortable with a thicker body.

• 3 weeks later...
Plans I have call for 35mm thick or 1.378in. which is about 1 3/8in. If you'd like a set let me know. :D

Are the plans you have in .dxf or .dwg format if so I would like to see if its the same plan I have, wana swap? The set I have are drawn by a person named M. de Haan.....I found them on the web some where.

This also states 1.378" thk.

They're in pdf and windows photo; take your pick, or both! They're drawn by Benjamin Stouffs in '05. The measurements on an epi sg body that I have lying about is 1.45" or 37mm closer to the 1.5 in. mentioned. My friend, Tom Doyle, who worked with Gibson for a time tells me that records were badly kept and many times there was little consistency- even with the LP's (ie: a lot of the top carving was done by hand in the beginning) My guess is 1.5" could be ok as well as 1 3/8". It may depend on the wood you're using. Something heavier than the standard mahogany may be a great at 1 3/8". My preference is to go a hair bigger to the 1.5" to help balance the guitar to keep it from being too neck heavy. Aircraft/ musical instrument quality plywood as used in the cheaper line epi's (not their top of the line), is going to be lighter. I hope to build one myself in the next year, so keep us posted!! :D

:D

Forgot to mention: just contact me thru the site and I'll send off the plans. Anybody wants to swap, I'd be happy to take some drawings. Thanks!

-Tom

I have the same SG plans :D

I also have Les Paul, Tele, Strat, and JBass plans by him. If you want some just PM me or something.

Hi, can you send me some plans, I am looking for the SG, Tele, and LP All I have to swap is an SG CAD file if you wan't that I can sed it to you, just send me an e-mail at dreamtoneATcomcast.net

By the way I wen't looking all over the net for the double neck wiring diagram, but no luck as of yet.

Thanks,

Rob

Edited by RMS

I can send you copies of what I have for SG, tele, strat and an LP (i think it has p-90's). I may have a diagram someplace for a double neck. That will take some time to find. I'll get the plans out to you later or tomorrow. Anyone I miss who needs plans?? Did everyone receive theirs?? I have to use 2 different programs due to some computer nonsense, until I get a chance to fix it, so some were sent but may not have been received.

-Tom

ROB!!: I found a set of Gibson SG 1275 schematics. I can scan it and send it to you. I thought I saw it somewhere and I found it in the back of Brosnac's bbok. Just send me an email.

Hi Tom:

Just saw your post on the SG 1275 Plans, if you can send them to me that would be great.

Thanks,

Rob