Guitar Build Off...entrants Poll

westhemann

this is where you sign up to enter the guitar build off...first general outline is as follows.

you sign up with your post...in that post you enter your opinion of the 3 top guitars you would like to build...at the end of the week (next sunday)we will compare notes and decide on mutiple qualifying builds...for example...a les paul single cut and a prs double cut are comparable builds...so if those are in all of your lists...they would both be eligible...(that is just an example)

try to keep in mind guitars that are useful to the most people...so that nobody is left with a guitar they won't use.

also..keep in mind that ,though it may be changed if you don't like the idea,that there will probably be a "pot" of guitar supplies donated by you entrants(though you do not have to enter to donate)which will be sentto a neutral third party for safekeeping.

so

1)enter

2)write down(in your post) the 3 guitars you would most like to build

3)write down(in your post)what you are willing to contribute to the pot.

4)write down your nominations for 4 judges...then i will privately ask the top 4 for their time.

i will start off by putting a 7 string duncan jb bridge pickup still in the box never installed and never unwrapped into the pot...i am not an entrant...but i have it and do not need it.

unless anyone else has a better time frame...at the end of sign up you will have until jan. 15 to gather supplies...then you will take a snapshot of your pile of supplies with that days paper on top of it and submit the picture into a thread i will start on that day.

then you will have until august(the last day) to submit your project strung and ready to play.you will keep progress pics and a "tutorial"of what your methods were...and on the final day of competition you willpot the tutoriall and final pictures either in the "finished work" section or in a dedicated section if admin agrees to it.

IF we start a dedicated section...we MAY allow posting of progress as it happens.but if that is to happen we mods will be policing and erasing all comments not made by the entrant whose topic it is...because there will be no cluttering up with "nice guitar" or "you rock" or "i would have used plastic instead of MOP because it's cheaper"

when the contest is over the tutorials will be locked and the judges will deliberate for one week...then the winner will be anounced.

this is only the first poll...more will follow as needed after enough entrants sign up...be serious folks...let's not let this peter out like last time

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in

1. a Tele

2. a LP or PRS...sinlgecut's

3. a LP or PRS...double cut's

ill throw in a maple top at least AAAA and at least a 1/4" or better :D

or a cocobolo blank 4"x4"x4' :DB)

and ill trust your opinion on the judges

but Setch,Perry,Scott,Fryovani,Maiden?

it depends on weather the judges can be entrants

and many thanks Wes for starting the post as it will remove alot of arguing :D

Edited by spazzyone

I am in;

1 Super 400-ish archtop

2.Jumbo acoustic w/cutoway

3.LP-ish shape carved top(I did not plan to do this this year, so I am on the fence about a solid body)

I will come up with some wood and parts for the comp. If my build options are not available. I will still contribute.

Judges; Setch, Myka,Doug,Perry, Russ,(I would be ok with several other members, but I am going to stop typing now ). I would like to invite several others from the industry for the voting process. I am sure there are several that would be willing to help with the judging(as long as the demands on their time are not too great).

Peace,Rich

I'm in

1. Tele

2. LP/prs

3. Explorer (no so much cus I got a pine one)

I'll throw in a japanese set of 3X3 tuners an 8" fret leveling beam and some 8" radius blocks.

Judges dont really matter to me although I'm kinda partial to Setch and his impartialness.

Preferably a longer build time 6+ months.

1. I'm in

Tele

Explorer

Strat

3. Like WezV I'm in the UK so a Stew Mac gift certificate would be cool.

4. Myka, Melvyn Hiscock, Setch.

I only have one slight issue, due to other projects that need finishing I probably wouldn't be starting on this project until we're half way through the 6 months (or whatever time limit is set), I have no problem getting it done it that time but I doubt very much I'd have any supplies to show for the 15th of Jan :D

I'm in too!!

1. Strat (I already have the neck blank, fretboard, & truss rod for a Strat i want to build. It's BEGGING for an excuse to be built :D)

2. Telecaster

3. Les Paul

I have a set of Grover 3x3 locking tuners i'd be glad to chip in. I've also got some misc. stuff, if anybody is interested i'll gather them and post 'em.

As for judges, how about Setch, Wes, David Myka & Maiden? :D

Chris

Edited by AlGeeEater

so far it looks like a good turnout.i see a common lp/prs partiality...which i like very much...an explorer is much easier to build than either of those two...maybe we could allow it if it had other work on it upping it'ss difficulty...maybe inlays of some intricateness...we will come to that decision later.

setch...consider yourself a judge...and i will ask myka and others via p.m. after the week is up...unless they want to express their willingness before then either here or via p.m.

I'm in if that's cool. I just received the templates to what I want to build.

1) 1 PRS ish Doublecutaway

2 Explorer

3 Strat/superstrat

2) I'll put a brand new gold lisc floyd rose with all parts into the pot. Anyone needs it, let me know.

3) The people up for judges already would give the best critical assessment.

My only concern is if you wanted to use a part that would take longer than January 15th to arrive. I plan to order them almost immediately if i'm good to be in this, but the pickups that I would use would take longer than that date to arrive. Can i show proof of the parts using the receipt or something?

Hey why not, please count me in as well.

I'm surprised with all the Texan members we have here, i'm the first Texan to enter.

1.) Gibson Les Paul Single Cut

2.) Gibson SG

3.) Fender Strat

4.) I have an unslotted or radiused Pauo Ferro Fingerboard blank big enough for a 5-string bass I can contribute, plus an unused StewMac Fret Slotting saw (I accidently ordered 2 and didn't feel like returning the extra one)

5.) I have no Judges preference

Edited by manquesa

Wes,

so far it looks like a good turnout.i see a common lp/prs partiality...which i like very much...an explorer is much easier to build than either of those two...maybe we could allow it if it had other work on it upping it'ss difficulty...maybe inlays of some intricateness...we will come to that decision later.

I don't think degree of difficulty is a real issue. I would love to see variety in submissions(FWIW).

Rich

well,as with any competition,degree of difficulty is a major component...it is always a factor..so i think using a variety of guitars is great(and it will bde so)but they must all have an equal start value,or else the one shape is going to be at a disadvantage from the start.

a possibilitty is that we(judges) could assign a start value for each shape and come up with a point system so that everyone knows from the beginning where the value is,so to speak

Wes,

I have a feeling that, given a few choices, the competitors will have a [very] good idea of which builds are simple and which are not. Based on that, they will know how the project will be judged and how much credit they will be given for the difficulty of the build. If they wish to compensate for an easier body(perhaps one w/o a carved top or what have you), then that's their choice. My $.02. This is in the mindset of keeping the simplicity of the rules at a premium.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

well,as with any competition,degree of difficulty is a major component...it is always a factor..so i think using a variety of guitars is great(and it will bde so)but they must all have an equal start value,or else the one shape is going to be at a disadvantage from the start.

a possibilitty is that we(judges) could assign a start value for each shape and come up with a point system so that everyone knows from the beginning where the value is,so to speak

I think if the judges are experinced they will not put as much value on the difficulty as you are thinking. I am just saying if you have done this or that. It is different, but not that big a deal. Even a basic bit of inlay can be harder than a carve. Not to even get into complex finishes....