Guitar Build Off...entrants Poll

westhemann

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so far we have 10 entrants...and it looks like the qualified builds will be prs or gibson style-ish single or double cuts or explorer..

i think we will expand the time frame for gathering basic starting materials to all of january,rather than half of it...

so,with things just a little more concrete...there are still 6 days left to sign up...

so far we have 10 entrants...and it looks like the qualified builds will be prs or gibson style-ish single or double cuts or explorer..

i think we will expand the time frame for gathering basic starting materials to all of january,rather than half of it...

so,with things just a little more concrete...there are still 6 days left to sign up...

the tele is kinda high on the list too but im game

1. EERrrr,

I was waiting a little more, since I'm still short on materials, but I guess that I can always build it before the dead line!

One thing only that Is going to prevent me from entering is the shape, since my next build IS going to be a PRSish single cut...So

2.PRS singlecut

3.Still don't know, but there will be something once I'm sure I will compete...

4.Anybody from the MOD VIP will be great... and if I don't compete, I'm more than willing to judge!

I'm in. Although January to August would be record time for me...but a deadline is a good thing, eh?

I vote for one of these three:

1) Gibson Les Paul

2) PRS single cut

3) Tokai love rock

:D

I'm good for a slotted Brazilian rosewood fretboard blank.

Myka, Setch, Drak & Wes as judges.

Edited by erikbojerik

I have a question, are archtop guitars out of the question? I'm hoping to build two in early 2007, then maybe a few more during summer time. I'd be glad to add some 'variety' to this. Plus, it would give me a good excuse to start it. I just don't know about funds, yet.

Chris

My first choice for a build(electric) would be an Arch also. I can't see what the problem with allowing them would be. Its just an over grown carved top :D . It would make the event more fun for me( I even started drafting my designs B) ).

:D Rich

I call this 'Bullmoose Jackson'.

This thing is still sitting here just like the pic shows, I started this 2-3 years ago...hmmmm.....sure would be nice to build it into a real guitar, huh?

So are you just showing us wood thats collecting dust or are you gonna get in :D .

Go ahead and say it. Announce your intent :D .

fry..i thought in the other thread you said you wanted to make an oversized les paul-ish archtop...

i was just considering "archtop" to be a stlye of build...like neck thru or semi-hollow.of couse you can build an arch top.

maybe you could clarify "arch top" for me?i just think of an arch top as a semi-hollw radiused top

An archtop is a primarily acoustic guitar, made with deep bent sides like an acoustic but with a top and back that is carved or pressed into an arch like a violin style instrument. It doesnt include things like 335s which have a centre block and is quite thin and are primarily electric instruments. That falls into the semi-acoustic catagory.

Since we only seem to be specifying shape and this is more of a construction method i think it is fine - obviously easier if we end up picking the LP shape rather than the explorer , although an acoustic archtop explorer might be interesting :D

i was just considering "archtop" to be a stlye of build...like neck thru or semi-hollow.of couse you can build an arch top.

maybe you could clarify "arch top" for me?i just think of an arch top as a semi-hollw radiused top

What a Metalhead! :D:D

B):D

My first choice for a build(electric) would be an Arch also. I can't see what the problem with allowing them would be. Its just an over grown carved top

from fry

that's is where the confusion is.i would like to hear what fryovanni is considering an archtop to be.

Thanks Wes! I will take that as a YES the big fat carved thingy with a pickup attached to the neck is a go for the comp :D . Any guitar in Wes's hands is a METAL weapon :D .

Drak- "400-ish". Not a replica, but very similar(shape, size and what have ya). P.S. ya in, ya in??? B)

WezV-

although an acoustic archtop explorer might be interesting
- Now that would be tricky to bend those sides, but it would be a big box. Now an Explorer Acoustic would be cool. Almost dovetail esc.

Peace,Rich

I think this is going to be a lot of fun. Seems to be a lot of great guys entering.

Edited by fryovanni

WezV-

- Now that would be tricky to bend those sides, but it would be a big box. Now an Explorer Acoustic would be cool. Almost dovetail esc.

Peace,Rich

I think this is going to be a lot of fun. Seems to be a lot of great guys entering.

Actually i was thinking you could use corner blocks and not have to bend a thing, be a strange carve on it though!

I'll happily participate in the judging if people want me to, it'll distract me from sulking that I don't have enough time to enter a guitar myself. Poo.

At least you've got two working arms, though. I have neither the time nor the physical capacity right this moment...

WezV-

Peace,Rich

Actually i was thinking you could use corner blocks and not have to bend a thing, be a strange carve on it though!

Corner blocks? Break the sides up(or joint) at each corner? I figure the corners could be bent just fine, but it would be tricky to make sure they were spot on and still keep the straight lines stright(it seems like it would be a challenge, but dang cool).

Im in, but I wont be able to start on the 15th, my "shop" has been put into a giant box and I need to either ship it, or wait untill the end of Jan to pick it up.

but I'll definatly be done by august.

1.Tele

2.PRS double

3.Strat

I could do a explorer too, but Id prefer those.

I think experiance should be a factor as well, Im in this less then a year.

there are tons of quality on here for judges, Id say Setch, Perry are two I like alot, and of course Melvyn himself.

+1 for Texas

WezV-

Peace,Rich

Corner blocks? Break the sides up(or joint) at each corner? I figure the corners could be bent just fine, but it would be tricky to make sure they were spot on and still keep the straight lines stright(it seems like it would be a challenge, but dang cool).

I was kind of thinking solid corner blocks that the sides fit into like on a pointy cutaway (cant remember if thats venetian or florentine), it could be done with some cool binding and purfling stripes to form a frame for each straight side bit. I would probably still bend the waist and cutaway section but it would get rid of the need for the really tight bends on the points. I reckon you would also need to make a sturdy mold for construction, might be a bit flimsy till top and back were glued on.

I aint gonna build owt like this but the point is that body style does not dictate build style, might not sound great as an acoustic instrument though :D