Faux Ebony Trick

~davie

come to think of it, i'm not sure if the vinegar trick will work on my rosewood fretboard.

that's why i rather use something like the "black fingerboard stain" from StewMac's, but unfortunately they're not allowed to ship it to Canada.

the aniline dye could be an option too, but i don't know where to get some, or whether or not its safe to have on a fingerboard, like.. it is toxic, harmful or pathogenic in anyway? cus you know, you're gonna be in contact with it quite often (fingerboard + fingers) :D

any suggestions, people?

the black fingerboard dye from stew-mac is nothing but leather dye. You should be able to find that in canada. I have a ? if you stain it before you install inlays or such what do you do when you have to do the touched work from leveling and sanding the inlays and glue. I never understood this and never had any luck with it that way. I always do my staining last. Then clean up the inlays to remove the residue off them.

leather dye, huh?

i could give it a try, but is it toxic (especially to the touch)? is it gonna make my guitar stinky? or wear off and leave my fingers with residue?

and wes, i don't have the cash to blow, and also i'm just experimenting on my noob guitar and see what i can make of it

Edited by ~davie

the aniline dye could be an option too, but i don't know where to get some, or whether or not its safe to have on a fingerboard, like.. it is toxic, harmful or pathogenic in anyway? cus you know, you're gonna be in contact with it quite often (fingerboard + fingers) :D

any suggestions, people?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...,42996&ap=1

:D

any suggestions, people?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...,42996&ap=1

:D

OMG thanks so much man, i gotta check this place out!!! B)

the black fingerboard dye from stew-mac is nothing but leather dye. You should be able to find that in canada. I have a ? if you stain it before you install inlays or such what do you do when you have to do the touched work from leveling and sanding the inlays and glue. I never understood this and never had any luck with it that way. I always do my staining last. Then clean up the inlays to remove the residue off them.

No is not!!!

Have you tried both? Because the leather dye barely stained a rosewood board I tested on and the stew mac one covered in the 1st try!

I'm having a little issue with this one too, I'm in Norway, and StewMac don't send their stain overseas. I'm sure I can get something useful

in shops here, but I wouldn't know what to look for, cause we don't use the terms stain or dye here.

We have something called beis that is used to color wood, but leave the figure of the wood. I think that it is generally used on houses tho...

Could someone give me more of a hint on what stain and dye really is?

Perhaps some of the swedes here could help me out, as we probably have some very similar products...

thanks.

No is not!!!

Have you tried both? Because the leather dye barely stained a rosewood board I tested on and the stew mac one covered in the 1st try!

Well i can tell you i just ordered some from them a few weeks ago, and its Fiebings professional oil dye

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supp...es.html#details

And its nothing but leather dye you can clearly see from the pic. the horse saddle on it. On the side of the bottle it tells its leather dye and the instructions for its use on brown leather.

Leather dye is fine.

Also, the vinegar/steel wool trick works. Dissolve oilless steel wool (the finer the better for faster dissolution) in white spirit vinegar. Let it sit, then see how it does on wood. I dilute it with water, wipe on, let it do it's thing, wipe down with distilled water to get it out. Darkens mahogany a LOT (kinda greyish, though), maple a little, walnut a good bit. No clue if it works on rosewood or ebony (needs high tannin content in the woods). Shouldn't affect inlays, etc. etc. etc. at all.

There might be different types of leather dyes... cause I used the kiwi one and when that one didn't worked I bought one in a black and blue bottle in a boot repair shop and it was same as the kiwi... I ordered the Stew Mac and it covered much better!!!

So if it is leather dye, well all i can say is that not all leather dye will work!