Contoured Heel Question?

M29

Hello,

I am going to do a contoured heel on a Jazzmaster style body and had a question. I did a search on this but didn't find what I was looking for. My question is, if I contour the body will I use the same (verticle) hole pattern as the original? If I do this won't the screws set awkward in the chamfered holes of the neck plate? I realize I will have to use shorter screws on the one side but I am not sure whether I will have to drill the screw holes at an angle so they match up with the neck plate chamfers or do you just use the original holes. It appears to me that the screws heads will stick up off the plate to one side with the original holes. This may cause you to catch your hand on the edge of the screws.

Your help is greatly appriciated.

M29

Hello,

I am going to do a contoured heel on a Jazzmaster style body and had a question. I did a search on this but didn't find what I was looking for. My question is, if I contour the body will I use the same (verticle) hole pattern as the original? If I do this won't the screws set awkward in the chamfered holes of the neck plate? I realize I will have to use shorter screws on the one side but I am not sure whether I will have to drill the screw holes at an angle so they match up with the neck plate chamfers or do you just use the original holes. It appears to me that the screws heads will stick up off the plate to one side with the original holes. This may cause you to catch your hand on the edge of the screws.

Your help is greatly appriciated.

M29

Have you considered a set neck? It would eliminate the problems of possible strenght issues at the join. Since contouring the body would lessen the amount of body material I would think this would make for a weak joint. Whereas a set neck or neck through this problem should not exist if executed properly.

Just my .02

MK

Edited by MiKro

Most of the contoured heels I've seen use ferrules to mount the neck rather than a plate. A google image search (click here) pulls up several ibanez guitars with a heel akin to what I'm thinking - you often see this on "shredder" type guitars.

Most of the contoured heels I've seen use ferrules to mount the neck rather than a plate. A google image search (click here) pulls up several ibanez guitars with a heel akin to what I'm thinking - you often see this on "shredder" type guitars.

Thank you MiKro and j. pierce. I kind of wanted to stay with the neck plate but maybe ferrules might be better. I have a Warmoth body that I am ready to finish but I am considreing a contoured heel and from what I have seen they just do a mild angle using a neck plate. Your link with pictures of neck heels is great j. pierce. I forgot all about doing a google (image) search. Thank you very much.

This is the body I got from Warmoth.

warjassm.jpg

And here is a better shot of the heel that I want to contour.

jasmast2.jpg

MiKro: I do plan to build a neck through on my next project. Thank you for the info.

Thank you guys for your time and help.

M29