Radiused And Slotted Fingerboards.

I have just finished my semi-hollow 24 9/16" scale and noticed when setting the intonation at the 12th fret and checking individual frets the first 5 frets are showing sharp on my tuner then they come right. This is similar to the last Stew Mac fretboard I used although it was a different scale length 25".

Has anyone else noticed this or maybe my tuner is not accurate enough.

The first few guitars I radiused them and cut the slots myself and had good intonation but wanted to save the time and hassle of doing this.

Anyone else noticed this?

IIRC StewMac's first fret/nut is cut a little short, ie a touch of built-in nut comp, but that's a good thing. Also, this is a guitar we're talking about. It's not going to play perfectly in tune to the cent all the way up the board on every string. Things like nut slot depth, action also affect intonation. Intonate with a capo on the first fret, see if things are better then.

I think the responces above are spot on. Just for the sake of giving better suggestions. What is your string clearance at 1st fret(in terms of nut height-string clear with string fretted at 2nd)? What is your relief set at? What is your final action set to at 12? That may help us/you zoom in on a potential trouble maker.

Peace,Rich

Thanks guys I am assured now that they are cut accurate.

I set the string height as per Melvyn's book re fretting at the 3rd and the string just having a little clearance on the 1st fret. I was fairly conservative so maybe they need to go a little deeper.

Incidentally I have never read anywhere else how to accurately set string height at nut. It is assumed that you just know, but Melvyn's method is a foolproof way to get the lowest action.

I set it up with the old strings so will recheck intonation and action once my new strings arrive especially as I have gone from 10 to 11 gauge strings.

I set it up with the old strings so will recheck intonation and action once my new strings arrive especially as I have gone from 10 to 11 gauge strings.
u do know that old strings loose their tuning accuracy do you??