Fretting & Radiusing Tools On Ebay

I've been looking at these sets on ebay & wondered whether they're as good a deal as they seem.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LUTHIER-TOOLS-FRETTI...7QQcmdZViewItem

I figured that I'd use the money from "that" neck (which I can't discuss) to buy some radius blocks, fretting tools etc. This set seems a lot cheaper & more comprehensive than anything else that I've seen so far.

The only thing that it doesn't have is a nut file set. They seem to go from very little $'s for a set of three double-sided files to a helluva lot for a full set. The sets of three double-sided files seem to be in "acoustic" sizes rather than standard electric ones so I'm not sure of how much use they would be...I'm sure that I've heard of people filing the edge of feeler guages for nut slotting, is this possible?

Bit pricey, IMO, and you really, really don't need everything in that set. Honestly, StewMac's fretting essentials toolkit is a better deal as it includes the step-by-step book. Buy the radius block of your choice, and you're good to go.

Me? I'd get a fret tand nipper, a fret nipper, the step-by-step book, radius block and make my own beveler, fret radiussing device, etc. Besides, the number one most important tool is missing: a good straightedge.

I have used the tip cleaners for all my guitar nut work. The drawback is the compromise on finding exactly the right size as the range is a lot more limited than the big sets I remember when I was an Engineering apprentice many yrs ago.

Usually they are slightly bigger than needed but I never had any trouble with buzz as I always use a 15-17 degree peg head angle. Maybe if used on a Fender style peghead that has little angle and straight string runs this could be problematic. I use a fret cutting saw to do the initial cut then work away with the tip cleaner, a slow process but a cheap setup.

Edited by Acousticraft

I have used the tip cleaners for all my guitar nut work. The drawback is the compromise on finding exactly the right size as the range is a lot more limited than the big sets I remember when I was an Engineering apprentice many yrs ago.

Usually they are slightly bigger than needed but I never had any trouble with buzz as I always use a 15-17 degree peg head angle. Maybe if used on a Fender style peghead that has little angle and straight string runs this could be problematic. I use a fret cutting saw to do the initial cut then work away with the tip cleaner, a slow process but a cheap setup.

If you like using a saw for your initial cuts. Go pick up some gauged scroll saw blades. You can get them correctly sized for most of your slots.(works pretty well). Then you make final adjustments with files as you do now.

Peace,Rich