Push To Break Switches

JonoS

I've been searching high and low for a push-to-break switch for use as a killswitch. I figured a non latching push-to-break would make more sence as i'm after that tom morello kinda thing.

Anyways, everywhere I look i'm confronted with these cheap ass nasty looking things (Link)

Is there any place I could get a push-to-break switch that would actually look quite posh on the front of the guitar?

Failing that.. is there any kind of rubber covering or something I could use to cover the switch so it doesn't look quite as ugly?

Search out some killswitch threads...this has been asked before...

That link just takes you to Maplin's site, not any particular switch...

You may wish to check out some momentary SMD type switches...tactile switches...these are tiny and very cheap but you may have to get clever in the installation...perhaps they could be surface mounted so that no drilling be required somewhere...

BTW...I think you actually want a push to make switch shorting the hot to earth just before the output of the guitar...lifting the hot with a push to break will most likely result in noise...as I say, check out some of the other posts... pete

Search out some killswitch threads...this has been asked before...

That link just takes you to Maplin's site, not any particular switch...

You may wish to check out some momentary SMD type switches...tactile switches...these are tiny and very cheap but you may have to get clever in the installation...perhaps they could be surface mounted so that no drilling be required somewhere...

BTW...I think you actually want a push to make switch shorting the hot to earth just before the output of the guitar...lifting the hot with a push to break will most likely result in noise...as I say, check out some of the other posts... pete

Okay dude, Thank you.

I haven't dabbled in electronics since I did my GCSE on the subject, so cheers for your patience with my noobyness.

and.. damn that link for not working :D

I've got a miniswitch kicking about from Maplin that is locking one way & momentary the other, eg. ON/OFF/ON (momentary)

I had planned on using it as a kill switch so that it can be locked on when down, locked off when centre & then when held up it would be on but would return to off when released for some Morello stuttering. It could of course work as off/on/momentary off too.

just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...
I've got a miniswitch kicking about from Maplin that is locking one way & momentary the other, eg. ON/OFF/ON (momentary)

I had planned on using it as a kill switch so that it can be locked on when down, locked off when centre & then when held up it would be on but would return to off when released for some Morello stuttering. It could of course work as off/on/momentary off too.

just a thought.

hey man i was looking through killswitch topics and saw this post

i'm looking to install some sort of killswitch in my fernandes ravelle dave kushner (it should be here tomorrow or thurs!). i was thinking a killswitch would be killer in something with a sustainer and this sounds like an awesome idea, with the momentary switch and the locking. so did you try using that switch and how much sucess did you have?

i used the search and it seems like a lot of people had noise problems installing various types of killswitches, so i was also wondering how to avoid this. i'm also looking for the least intrusive way of installing such a switch (ie. as little body modification as possible). i'm a pretty big electronics n00b so i ask for some patience in dealing with me.

for that guitar, personally i would move the pickup selector switch to in between the volume/tone knobs (personally i prefer it there...but its all down to preference)

and then mount a threeway killswitch on the upper horn (ON/OFF/ON - so if it gets accidentally knocked, it doesnt cut out the sound for more than an unnoticable split-second)

so then you'd have:

1- only one body modification (a hole between the pots, and there should be room there for the switch in the cavity)

2 - doesn't look like a cheap little switch, as it would *look* exactly the same as the current setup pickup selector.

anywho, just my $0.02

edit:- my computer should turn itself off when i've been up since 430am :D just realised that my reply has very little to do with the topic.

Edited by weezerboy

for that guitar, personally i would move the pickup selector switch to in between the volume/tone knobs (personally i prefer it there...but its all down to preference)

and then mount a threeway killswitch on the upper horn (ON/OFF/ON - so if it gets accidentally knocked, it doesnt cut out the sound for more than an unnoticable split-second)

so then you'd have:

1- only one body modification (a hole between the pots, and there should be room there for the switch in the cavity)

2 - doesn't look like a cheap little switch, as it would *look* exactly the same as the current setup pickup selector.

anywho, just my $0.02

edit:- my computer should turn itself off when i've been up since 430am :D just realised that my reply has very little to do with the topic.

haha well thanks for the reply! i was thinking that for the positioning myself. which makes me think of that manson guitar with the killswitch built in to the p/u selector. has anyone done that with any sucess?