Newbie In On The Guitar Build Off, Some Stats Too!

RMS

Garehanman i know i did not cave anything as im not making the rules

but

"He is a completely innapropriate entry, END OF STORY"

that is well said

but i have looked at his site (what he has posted anyway "dreamtone.org")

and it makes me wonder how he is a newbie that knows nothing

and this is a direct quote from his mini jcm 800 build

"This kit is not for a beginner or armature and It is not intended for your first diy amp build. Electrical skills, knowledge and safety are all needed to build this kit"

so either he is no beginer or does not listen to his own advice

Legal Liability issues, in tube amps there are very high voltages , approx. 500V so one slip with a test probe could end your life. Its really all about safty, and I am supplying the kit so I have to make that statement.

The worse thing that I can do in this competion is hack of my had on a band saw and then bleed to death before I can get help, though my 20+ years working with power tools says that its highly unlikely so maby just a lousy playing gitar is all. And in the mean time I am going to have FUN! :D

It shows me he has confidence, which is great, and experience in other fields, which is also fantastic.

I applaud him for his skills. :D :D B)

Maybe he can be a resource to all of us who are electrically challenged, and I would hope he would be.

I am hear to help anyone anyway I can thats what forums are all about.

But his entry is still completely innapropriate,

...and this is a prime reason why...

the participants should just build and not be the voting committee at the rise of every new little issue.

With one small stone he has gained entry into your castle.

You are going right smack-dab down the yellow brick road of Carrieburst, with obviously no lessons learned, and History shall bequeath upon you Her brigade of sorrows.

Do you vote for a President or Prime Minister just to have them ask you civilians constantly what they should do with every issue that crosses their plate?

No.

Would you want to live in a country that was run like that?

I seriously doubt it.

Its a "FUN" build off not a "WAR" holly cow guys lighten up will ya.....geeeeshhhhh! I have a real good feeling about Westhemann that he is going to do a fantastic job!

I don't know why will a begginer will like to enter a contest like this! Yes it is for fun, but all the entrants are seassoned builders (or at least we think we are).

You almost make me want to drop out of this competition.

+1

But for only one reason I won't do! Because this is not the GOTM were your peers are the ones that control the voting! In this case there will be craftsmans and luthiers the ones that will judge! So the old "Oh, I vote for so because it is their first build and I rather vote for him rather than for a pro!!!" :D ring a bell Perry!!!

So I don't think that your entry will detract from anyone else vote! But I do think that YOU shouldn't be allowed to enter! Thats just me!

I hope that you bring a nice guitar in the end!

Well, thats it.

I was nominated as one of the judges by someone (more than one?).

I would like to official decline that nomination. Its too bad, because i was really looking forward to voting, and giving some thorough critiscm and praise to assist people in their craft.

Im not interested now, as this has turned into a free for all competition where there are no strict rules. The fact that there are no firm decisions, means its turning into cariburst mkII, and that was a painful, painful experience. Im too busy to be checking in here and listening to some clown carry on about how he is good to go, while the majority of entrants that THIS COMP WAS DESIGNED FOR, state they dont think he should join.

This is NOT a learning experience for newbs, but a competition to further enhance skills, not normally exercised by guys looking to further their craft. Im up for furthering the craft, thats why i log in here, along with a SMALL SMALL percentage of pro luthiers. Im not here for Litchfield II.

Thats EXACTLY how i see it... Litchfield II. He ALSO was cocky, knew everything, didnt like not being included, etc etc etc.

Building a guitar has LESS to do with machinery safety or handling, and more to do with thorough planning and execution, thoughtful design and application, rather than "can he use a router".

If the rules are SET, and the direction is CHANGED, im up for judging, but not how it is now.

For once I agree with Perry. Just build for fun now. It's way better for your first couple of builds. Trust me.

Chris

Yes, and in the sense of "fun" they don't want it being bogged down by a noobie. I'm all for equal participation, but I have to say I agree here, no noobs.

just let it be known that i think it is incredibly silly to join something like this before you even know what is involved in building a guitar..i personally think it would be best,but it is my mistake for not making entrant conditions at the start.

I also agree that it is not wise to take part in a competition for your first build, but I also tend to let stubborn people setup their own undoing rather than spending a lot of time convincing them otherwise.

He is a completely innapropriate entry, END OF STORY.

...and I can't believe you guys caved to a complete newb, you're experienced builders for chrissakes, you know what happens...

I don't know why will a begginer will like to enter a contest like this!

+1

But for only one reason I won't do! Because this is not the GOTM were your peers are the ones that control the voting! In this case there will be craftsmans and luthiers the ones that will judge! So the old "Oh, I vote for so because it is their first build and I rather vote for him rather than for a pro!!!" :D ring a bell Perry!!!

7!!!

And a requote of Drak, because he is always right on these issues...

It shows me he has confidence, which is great, and experience in other fields, which is also fantastic.

I applaud him for his skills. :D :D B)

Maybe he can be a resource to all of us who are electrically challenged, and I would hope he would be.

But his entry is still completely innapropriate,

...and this is a prime reason why...

the participants should just build and not be the voting committee at the rise of every new little issue.

With one small stone he has gained entry into your castle.

You are going right smack-dab down the yellow brick road of Carrieburst, with obviously no lessons learned, and History shall bequeath upon you Her brigade of sorrows.

Do you vote for a President or Prime Minister just to have them ask you civilians constantly what they should do with every issue that crosses their plate?

No.

Would you want to live in a country that was run like that?

I seriously doubt it.

Well, thats it.

I was nominated as one of the judges by someone (more than one?).

I would like to official decline that nomination. Its too bad, because i was really looking forward to voting, and giving some thorough critiscm and praise to assist people in their craft.

Im not interested now, as this has turned into a free for all competition where there are no strict rules. The fact that there are no firm decisions, means its turning into cariburst mkII, and that was a painful, painful experience. Im too busy to be checking in here and listening to some clown carry on about how he is good to go, while the majority of entrants that THIS COMP WAS DESIGNED FOR, state they dont think he should join.

This is NOT a learning experience for newbs, but a competition to further enhance skills, not normally exercised by guys looking to further their craft. Im up for furthering the craft, thats why i log in here, along with a SMALL SMALL percentage of pro luthiers. Im not here for Litchfield II.

Thats EXACTLY how i see it... Litchfield II. He ALSO was cocky, knew everything, didnt like not being included, etc etc etc.

Building a guitar has LESS to do with machinery safety or handling, and more to do with thorough planning and execution, thoughtful design and application, rather than "can he use a router".

If the rules are SET, and the direction is CHANGED, im up for judging, but not how it is now.

So things are not going as you like them, well the way I see it is the problem is not with me, I am fine I just joined a contest thats all I did. Personally I would swap with you how is that? I will drop if westhemann lets me be a judge, and you can take my place building!

okay..we are not going to let this turn into an issue.at the start we said that any issues that arise we will vote on and that is what will happen this time.let me go pin a poll.and weARE going to live with the outcome,as i did not sign on as a dictator,only an officiate.

i do not and will not "run the country"

we are going to make this contest the best possible for the entrants and judges involved.

I can see where Perry is coming from, because if you let one new guy then any new guy that wants to join in has to be let in then the judges will have to sift thru all the learning experiences. NIGHTMARE!!!!! Not that I would want to enter but maybe there could be some sort of Newbie competition that someone else could set up completly seperate from this one, with a longer deadline. But I still say learning takes time and patience.

this topic is closed.the decision is being made in the polls and the reason for this topic also is jumping ahead,because fret slotting and things of that nature will be discussed in the official rules which will be posted at the start of the competition as soon as the initial polling data is collected.