Thanks Drak

ginner

Hi, I got a peice of burl maple from frasier valley fine woods (look below this paragraph) but I've never worked with burl before and was hoping drak or anyone else could help me out. I was just wondering the best way to fill in the incursions, and if Id need a CA bath, which products to use, how to do it, etc. Also I was hoping drak would be able to tell me how to stain the top to be very similar to his magma attack body, cus that thing REALLY kicks ass. I am gonna finish it with the stewmac colortone waterbase cleargloss topcoat, clear sealer, and grain filler (if i need it ).

ea86_3.JPG

Also as a side note I will be using one of doug from soulmate guitars necks... They are REALLY awesome. Here is a project ive already started with one of his necks.

Here are some pics of it,

before i started work :

http://img9.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=8...0_122_466lo.JPG

after glueing and rough shaping:

http://img129.imagevenue.com/img.php?image...4_122_598lo.JPG

after the carve and some routes

http://img161.imagevenue.com/view.php?imag...1_122_563lo.JPG

after one quick coat of tru oil, just to see what it will look like when im ready to finish it (you can notice my DISGUSTINGLY messy routes, but they will be covered, and im not drak so it wont be WOD'd :D :

http://img22.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=...8_122_413lo.JPG

I dont have any pics of the heel yet, its mostly done but can use some work so ill post those when its all finished.

the specs are basically 7 string neck thru with stainless steel frets, flame maple neck with bubinga lams, pao ferro baord, walnut back with zebrawood top (carved) dimarzio tone zone and air norton 7, 7 string hardtail bridge, all gold hardware, schaller mini locking tuners, graphite nut. finished in tru oil from head to toe. Ill post some final pics when its all done.

also here is a pic of some quilted maple i will be using that i also got from frasier valley. :

http://img42.imagevenue.com/view.php?image...2_122_547lo.JPG

thanks alot guys.

OK, here is what I would do with that wood.

BTW, first, I will tell you something of great interest to you. 'Magma Attacks' is made from the EXACT SAME WOOD BILLET as your pieces there. Being as you had such an interest in that guitar, you must be STOKED to know that your guitar can look pretty much EXACTLY the same as mine, being as it came from the same billet of wood. B)

I have been watching Frasier Valley for some time, and he must have a very large billet of that particular burled wood, because I have seen at least a dozen or more auctions of bookmatched wood from the very same billet that Magma Attacks came from, and yours is one of them. Slightly different obviously, but cut from the same tree, absolutely.

OK, back to the inclusions. Your inclusions are very small. If I had your wood in front of me, what I would do to fill them is use Hot Stuff (Red) and a Pipette with a really small diameter opening and fill those inclusions in before I did anything else.

I will post a pic tomorrow of Hot Stuff Red and a Pipette so you know what I'm talking about.

If you want, we will have 'Magma Attacks II' on the shelves very soon! :D :D

Since you have the same wood from the same tree as mine came from, I will be more than happy to tell you everything I did to get Magma where she is today...but you will have to have some spray equipment to copy what I did.

OK, here is what I would do with that wood.

BTW, first, I will tell you something of great interest to you. 'Magma Attacks' is made from the EXACT SAME WOOD BILLET as your pieces there. Being as you had such an interest in that guitar, you must be STOKED to know that your guitar can look pretty much EXACTLY the same as mine, being as it came from the same billet of wood. B)

I have been watching Frasier Valley for some time, and he must have a very large billet of that particular burled wood, because I have seen at least a dozen or more auctions of bookmatched wood from the very same billet that Magma Attacks came from, and yours is one of them. Slightly different obviously, but cut from the same tree, absolutely.

OK, back to the inclusions. Your inclusions are very small. If I had your wood in front of me, what I would do to fill them is use Hot Stuff (Red) and a Pipette with a really small diameter opening and fill those inclusions in before I did anything else.

I will post a pic tomorrow of Hot Stuff Red and a Pipette so you know what I'm talking about.

If you want, we will have 'Magma Attacks II' on the shelves very soon! :D :D

Since you have the same wood from the same tree as mine came from, I will be more than happy to tell you everything I did to get Magma where she is today...but you will have to have some spray equipment to copy what I did.

Dude! thats awesome news. Thats insane that it is from the same tree, and I hope I can pull it off. I cant wait to get this thing underway. Thanks for the help.