Styrofoam And Fiberglass Body

vanya

I was thinking/wondering that if you cut your body shape out of styrofoam and covered it with fiberglass if it would work well. It'd be sturdy because of the fiberglass and light because of the styrofoam.

What does the guitar community think about this?

Or am i just full of fecal matter?

Im building necks for a company that is investing a LOT of time and money into an accoustic style fibreglass body. They are hollow though, so no styrofoam. Its all roundsih, eg: no sides/top/back... imagine a balloon in the shape of a guitar body.

So, not a new idea, but nearly :D

In fact, im sure there was a guitar in the eighties that had a solid foam core and fibreglass external. Was a wierd name, and only a small company. Pretty wild shape too if i recall.

Im building necks for a company that is investing a LOT of time and money into an accoustic style fibreglass body. They are hollow though, so no styrofoam. Its all roundsih, eg: no sides/top/back... imagine a balloon in the shape of a guitar body.

So, not a new idea, but nearly :D

In fact, im sure there was a guitar in the eighties that had a solid foam core and fibreglass external. Was a wierd name, and only a small company. Pretty wild shape too if i recall.

Perry the guitar was made in the late sixties and it was made by MicroFrets. They had an inovative nut design that allowed individual string intonation at the nut also had height adjustment as well. I bought one in 1968 was actually a very nice playin guitar. also very light weight. They are still manufactored by a new maker using the same name and design as far as the nut goes since the patent ran out on the nut design years ago. That's the only foam/glass guitar that I remember.

MK

Edited by MiKro

The resin used with fiberglass eats styrofoam, but theres other foams you can use with fiberglass. At my shop we coat a lot of a carvable more rigid foam in fiberglass. If I can find out what it's called I'll let you know.

Adam

Use High density foam at least 1lb/per sqft. Type used in most Radio control planes for the wings. Either coat with titbond then fiberglass or use epoxy and glass. ethier will work. Would suggest using spruce or other light but strong stringers for support. Or yo might consider skinnning the foam wood veneer. This can be done just like balsawood is applied to the wing foam cores using a contact cement for that prupose.

Just an Idea???

MK

I REALLY like RGGR's git in the pic. Has that model been built yet?
It's called the Maxxas from Ibanez. One of the most awesome guitars in the world. I know, cause I have one at home. It's my most favorable instrument out of the collection.

See here for some more details:

http://www.ibanez87.it/english/collection/jessica.aspx

http://www.ibanez87.it/english/collection/jessica-18.aspx

http://www.oliver-pfaender.de/guitar/index.php?guitar=mx2

use Acetone to dissolve the styrofoam, .....

Leaving you with something similar to Napalm :D

Neh, some motorcycle gas tanks are made this way. Acetone dissolves the styrofoam with ease, just a small drop already causes huge holes in your styrofoam. Just need to do it outside with plenty of ventilation.

use Acetone to dissolve the styrofoam, .....

Leaving you with something similar to Napalm :D

Neh, some motorcycle gas tanks are made this way. Acetone dissolves the styrofoam with ease, just a small drop already causes huge holes in your styrofoam. Just need to do it outside with plenty of ventilation.

Yeah, there probably is not enough styrofoam, and gasoline is a better solvent for napalm

Homemade Napalm

Cool guitar by the way